Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Testosterone again...Can't my GP prescribe Tibolone?  (Read 6726 times)

Tempest

Re: Testosterone again...Can't my GP prescribe Tibolone?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 01:40:26 PM »

Did you see The One Show last night, Annie? It was about fabulous wig shop in Ireland - lots of young lassies there buying wigs and they looked fantastic! :) They were talking about how prevalent hair loss really is amongst women. xxxxx

Annie0710

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 02:01:25 PM »

No I didn't but funny because a few weeks ago I saw a pop up ad from a company in Ireland.  I looked them up and they are brilliant and yes they said how common hair loss is in women.  When you think of everything our bodies need in balance to make everything tickety boo I'm surprised not more have hair loss.  X

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 06:21:23 PM »

Hi ladies

It was the new young women's health nurse that came from the gynae dept who first told me I was eligible for testosterone or Tibolone . But she said I'd have a fight on my hands with the gps because

A) testosterone is off licence
B) I've had a hysterectomy so can't have the progesterone content of tibolone

Well, I argued my point that no one had sucked progesterone out of my body all those years post hysterectomy that I was naturally producing it and she was speechless, said she'd never thought of it like that before and will investigate

Months later I stumbled across a lovely gp who really wanted to help so she contacted the gynae dept for me to find out what I can have.  Within a week they replied testosterone or Tibolone

So you don't need an appt, there's nothing to examine so there's nothing stopping them just issuing a prescription

Fight Abby and tell them it's a waste of a valuable appointment when all you need is a prescription xx

It is strange that they say this about the progestgoen component. I mean I understand that is has to be the other way round - ie you have to have progestogen if you take oestrogen with a uterus - but the progestogen component of Tibolone (and it's not exactly that) is not going to do you any harm - and the same compound is the one with the weak androgenic effects. I know it is not normally prescribed  (ie a progestogen if you no longer have a uterus) but Tibolone is not really like any other HRT. As far as I recall there is no contra-indication to taking a progestogen-like compound - even though you don't need it for those purposes.

The GP should understand that of the 3 metabolites that Tibolone break down into, two are oestrogen like and the other one has weak androgenic/progestogenic effects. Surely they must realise that you could take this for its androgenic effects - ie you are not actually taking progestogen itself?

I understand that the oestrogen dose/effect is not very high so would not suit all women - especially those in early meno or with BSO as well - but those who are fine on a medium oestrogen dose may well benefit as women seem to be experiencing on here.

Hurdity x

Blakeygray

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 07:58:21 PM »

I agree. I've no womb and am taking Tibolone. I suppose the component the  body doesn't need is rendered null and void.

Annie0710

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2017, 08:12:21 PM »

Hi ladies

It was the new young women's health nurse that came from the gynae dept who first told me I was eligible for testosterone or Tibolone . But she said I'd have a fight on my hands with the gps because

A) testosterone is off licence
B) I've had a hysterectomy so can't have the progesterone content of tibolone

Well, I argued my point that no one had sucked progesterone out of my body all those years post hysterectomy that I was naturally producing it and she was speechless, said she'd never thought of it like that before and will investigate

Months later I stumbled across a lovely gp who really wanted to help so she contacted the gynae dept for me to find out what I can have.  Within a week they replied testosterone or Tibolone

So you don't need an appt, there's nothing to examine so there's nothing stopping them just issuing a prescription

Fight Abby and tell them it's a waste of a valuable appointment when all you need is a prescription xx

It is strange that they say this about the progestgoen component. I mean I understand that is has to be the other way round - ie you have to have progestogen if you take oestrogen with a uterus - but the progestogen component of Tibolone (and it's not exactly that) is not going to do you any harm - and the same compound is the one with the weak androgenic effects. I know it is not normally prescribed  (ie a progestogen if you no longer have a uterus) but Tibolone is not really like any other HRT. As far as I recall there is no contra-indication to taking a progestogen-like compound - even though you don't need it for those purposes.

The GP should understand that of the 3 metabolites that Tibolone break down into, two are oestrogen like and the other one has weak androgenic/progestogenic effects. Surely they must realise that you could take this for its androgenic effects - ie you are not actually taking progestogen itself?

I understand that the oestrogen dose/effect is not very high so would not suit all women - especially those in early meno or with BSO as well - but those who are fine on a medium oestrogen dose may well benefit as women seem to be experiencing on here.

Hurdity x

The young woman who told me this last year was new and from the gynae dept at the hospital.  It was because of her and her fresh ideas from the hospital that got me able to try testosterone and Tibolone.  Gps started listening to her ideas and she's been going on conferences for menopause to learn more.  I think she found my situation intriguing but I haven't seen her since last summer.  She can't (or couldn't ) prescribe but would put possibilities to the gps in meetings and they kept refusing but she'd sown the seed for me that there are possibilities, she still has things to learn as she said oestrogen will help my hair shedding (which is kind of correct) and got me to ask for 100mcg estradot , boy that didn't agree with me at that dose, I'd say I'm more comfortable at 37.5 - 50mcg
Pages: 1 [2]