Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newish member  (Read 1590 times)

Hezdah

• First Flush
Newish member
« on: January 28, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »

I have been a member for a wee while now but haven't posted until today. I'm 57 years old and unsure if symptoms I'm having are related to menopause or not. It definitely helps reading posts from other members. I've not had periods for just over a year now and have the occasional hot flush - usually after a hot drink, I can't believe how unwell flushes make me feel for those few minutes and when I think about it I think I feel unwell a lot of the time anyway. Tiredness is a real issue for me as well as vaginal dryness and leaking urine when I sneeze. Diarrhoea is becoming more frequent and recently when I was sick I peed myself which I found very upsetting. I haven't been to my GP yet as am not keen on HRT (mother had breast cancer at 42). My husband is amazing and very supportive. ::) Does this sound familiar?

Menomale

Re: Newish member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »

Hi Hezdah,

Welcome! You're lucky, entering menopause at 57! My peri symptoms began at 44... hot flushes and mood swings, then anxiety and insomnia... Diarrhoea is a problem for me too but in my case I'm not sure it's just a menopause symptom. Incontinence and tiredness, yes, all part of the menopause symdrome, I'm afraid. Vaginal dryness, not therebyet and hope will never be.
Amazing and very supportive husband... that's wonderful, lucky you!
Sorry about your mother, have you ever been tested?
I hope you find many tips here to improve your symptoms without succumbing to HRT, I'm not against it but it must be scary to have no other option when you're at a higher risk for BC. Have you ever read about SERMS+HRT as an option?
xxx
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:55:25 PM by Menomale »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »

Treatment for vaginal atrophy is different to general HRT.  It is the ONLY thing that will ease atrophy, there are 2 products to consider: Vagifem and Ovestin1mg - both similar but are delivered into the vagina slightly differently.  Both have an initial application of every night for 2 weeks followed by ........ as often or as little as is necessary.  It's a Life-long requirement for many ladies.  Some find that generalised HRT is necessary too.

Because your Mum developed BC doesn't mean that HRT is 'out' for you, it really does depend on causation and type.  Even though mine was oestrogen dominant, if I had been plagued by symptoms as some ladies suffer, I would have pushed for treatment.  Better to have a Quality of Life which enables us to see the wood for the trees.   ;)

:welcomemm:  browse round, make notes.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 01:05:16 PM »

Hezdah - systemic HRT could be an option for you but it doesn't sound as though you really need this.  What may really help you is to have a good look at your lifestyle to see what simple things you can do to improve your general health.  The right diet can often sort out digestive problems. If you are carrying a it too much weight then dropping portion sizes and cutting out sugar can work wonders. Eating live yogurt everyday is very good for the digestion but a good balance of everything is the way forward. A good brisk walk every day is also great - you don't have to join a gym or do anything drastic to improve your stamina - it's simple things done regularly that can make a big difference.
Symptoms of Vitamin D deficiency ( which is very common, particularly in winter) are: low energy, low mood, aching joints, etc. Try taking a good supplement of Vitamin D with magnesium and also perhaps an iron supplement with B vitamins and could improve your energy.

The leaking urine needs some pelvic floor exercises and your GP can refer you for help regarding this - you can also find good YouTube films that help you learn how to do pelvic floor exercises properly.  However, the dryness and discomfort can be sorted simply with some local oestrogen e.g. Vagifem. Also buy some SYLK vaginal moisturiser as this is fab to improve the whole ‘lady bits' area - use this alongside the Vagifem. Vagifem is not full HRT and, as others have mentioned, can really help with all urogenital issues - I would definitely ask your GP for Vagifem if nothing else.
DGx

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:08:54 PM »

Hi Hezdah

:welcomemm:

If you are getting diarrhoea frequently and this has persisted and is a change for you - as well as being sick, then unless you know it was a virus, then please get checked out. Any persistent change in bowel habit should be checked out in the absence of dietary changes.

I agree with CLKD about local oestrogen to strengthen bladder/urethra - which go to pot after menopause! This is unaffected by breast cancer risk anyway and can be taken long term. The different types are all listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php. There is also a website bladder matters: http://www.bladdermatters.co.uk/

ALso do start a regular regime of pelvic floor exercises to help control stress incontinence ( very common!) - to be done several times daily - Taz is an expert on these and has posted links before....

Hurdity x

EDIT Dancinggirl posted while I was writing this but at least we agree!! x

Hezdah

• First Flush
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »

Thank you ladies for all your very helpful replies, I will indeed look into all these suggestions. I don't feel too bad at the moment but do realise that things could change for me. Things could certainly be a lot worse after reading some of the posts on here. My heart goes out to these poor ladies that are struggling physically as well as emotionally.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 04:30:14 PM »

Be prepared?