Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello and advice on HRT please  (Read 1350 times)

Gill P

Hello and advice on HRT please
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:17:24 AM »

Hi
Have just joined the Forum. I'm 53 and am still having periods although they now seem to be every three months but tend to last for 4-6 weeks when they arrive.
Main symptoms causing me trouble are fatigue, low mood, feeling unable to cope and overwhelmed by the day ahead, inability to concentrate, memory fog, just general feeling of having to really force myself to get going on anything.
Have researched alternative HRT therapies but none seem suitable for those kind of symptoms.
Have an appointment in a weeks time at GP to get HRT but am still unsure as to whether I want to take it or whether it's right for me.
Would love to hear from anyone who has experienced similar symptoms and found anything which helps.
Thank you.

Hurdity

Re: Hello and advice on HRT please
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »

Hi Gill P

:welcomemm:

Many of us have tried "alternative" or herbal remedies which we thought worked at first but actually it was probably either placebo or our symptoms were changing anyway. Most of us have found the only way to actually eliminate symptoms is through HRT.

Have a look at the different types available (top tabs green banner) under Treatments/HRT preparations. You will see there are patches pills and gels. if your doctor is out of date s/he may try to prescribe anti-depressants if you talk about low mood etc so be sure to have an answer ready as these are not supposed to be prescribed as first line of treatment for menopause - unless you are contra-indicated medically, for HRT.

If you have any more questions before your appointment then ask away!

You will find plenty of advice and support on here :)

Hurdity x

Gill P

Re: Hello and advice on HRT please
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »

Hi Hurdity
Thanks so much for replying and with so much information.
I wasn't aware of the risks with phytoestrogens so will keep that in mind. The one I was considering is sage complex and have found some posts on that too now which is helpful.
So hard to know what to do. At this point am leaning towards HRT and will be heading to GP this Friday. Luckily she is very kind and sympathetic. Saw her in December and she told me to consider various options and come back and see her. Since joining forum am now realising that other niggling health concerns I've had for some time are also probably related to menopause. Crikey what a rollercoaster! But so great to have a forum like this for support. Thank you again very much.  :) xx