Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Break through flushing  (Read 1463 times)

Kazzie

Break through flushing
« on: January 15, 2017, 09:46:01 PM »

HI I have been taking low dose femiston conti for about three years but have noticed recently flushes reappearing and has been bad this weekend - do,you think it's worth seeing if doc can tweak the dosage. :-\

Hurdity

Re: Break through flushing
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »

Hi Kazzie - is it the ultra low dose ( the 0.5 mg) or the ordinary low dose ( 1 mg)? Whichever it is depending on your age and how long since menopause, your oestrogen levels could have dropped (around 2 years after the last period) but also other factors can affect the absorption of tablet HRT and these could have changed for you recently maybe  :-\

Unfortunately Femoston conti does not come in a higher dose - although the cyclical type comes as 2 mg. Otherwise, the other types have the more androgenic progestogens, although Indivina contains MPA, which is less testosterone related but you could change to a combi patch (also androgenic progestogens), or separate oestrogen and progestogen. All the types are listed under Treatments/HRT preparations - top tabs pale green banner.

Definitely think about this, have a look at see if there is something else - different dose or mode of delivery - that you would like to try and see your doc. Good luck :)

Hurdity x

Kazzie

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 10:46:15 PM »

Yes it's the ultra low dose - the flushes come back in fits and starts but been quite bad the last couple of weeks. Will talk to doc - been trying to persevere- but it makes me feel dreadful !😞

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 02:15:46 PM »

Oo-er - that is a very low dose and I've just checked your age! Ideally you should be on a higher dose than this to protect your heart and bones, because the dose you are on is not licensed for protection against osteoporosis (although any extra oestrogen provides some protection) and you are still several years away from the average age of menopause which is around 51. I would definitely try the increased dose asap (with approval of your doc) - maybe ease into it by starting every other day - if this works without spotting? This should eliminate your flushes hopefully!

Hurdity x

Kazzie

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »

Thanks for the advice will talk to the doc.