Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: in the menopause  (Read 2178 times)

mags7101

in the menopause
« on: January 01, 2017, 02:23:31 AM »

Hi not been logged in for a while just wanted to ask how do you know when you have gone from peri menopause into the menopause i have stopped feeling like im going mad no period for a year but very hot at night this is my only symptoms  that i have now im not on HRT i take 2 promensil 40mg and 1 Citalopram 40 mg a day this has helped with all the usual meno symtoms

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: in the menopause
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »

As long as you get ease of symptoms, then live half a day at a time?  The Change is reliable in it's unreliability  ::).

The 1 thing to look for is vaginal atrophy.  When the oestrogen levels drop so the body dries: skin, nostrils, vagina, deep in the ears ……. VA can be eased by specific localised HRT, usually presents with repeated urine-type 'infections' …… because the skin thins there and becomes dry it causes problems!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 05:18:11 PM »

Hi mags7101

You have officially reached menopause at the date of your last natural period, but this can only be determined in retrospect because you are deemed to have got there if you don't have a period for 12 months following this. However if you start HRT before you have gone 12 months without a period then you can't ever tell unless you stop taking hRT for one year and if no periods then you are definitely post-menopause.

Many women such as myself fall into this category. I started HRT in late peri-menopause - just under the age of 54 - had not had a period for 5 months and have been on HRT more or less ever since. I presume I reacehd menopause at the earliest at 54.5 but could have been a year or two later.

When did you stop taking HRT and how old are you? If you were prescribed Citalopram rather than HRT for menopausal symptoms, this is now out of date according to the NICE Guidelines.

I hope this answers your question?

Great that it sounds like you are through the worst of it! Do beat in mind that for some women symptoms worsen from approx 2 years following the last period because oestrogen levels have dropped to their lowest level approx by this time. However this certainly doesn't happen to everyone! Just saying really don't rule out going back onto HRT ( rather than increasing ADs) if they do, and if you are able to.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 05:19:07 PM »

It seems that the regime prescribed has worked.  Stick with what you know!!!

mags7101

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 04:35:44 AM »

thank you Iam 50 years old i cant take HRT because i am due to have my 3rd of 5 opperations i took HRT for about 2 years and then stopped it about a year and a 6 months ago been on the citalopram and promensil since then