Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Will this pass.  (Read 2917 times)

kenny

Will this pass.
« on: December 27, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »

I have been off HRT for 3 months now, taking it for 6ish years, 12 years post menopause, in the last few weeks I have started will hot flushes in bed and feeling a bit anxious early evening, will this pass. If I can stay off HRT great but starting to think whether this is the start of my body telling me I need it. Thank you ladies. X

2cats

Re: Will this pass.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 11:35:19 AM »

I haven't been brave enough to stop HRT yet but hopefully someone with experience of it will be along shortly.  I wonder if a herbal preparation might help you to stay on top of anxiety and flushes.  In my experience, flushes were the easiest symptom to get rid of with herbal remedies then HRT.

I really hope everything settles down for you.
 :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »

Why did you stop treatment if it worked?

At least you know that your hormones are still there. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 02:10:09 PM »

kenny - coming off HRT can be difficult.  Meno symptoms usually return after stopping HRT and it can take some months or even years for the symptoms to settle. Many choose to stay on HRT as symptoms can be really troublesome but it can be worth giving it at least 6 months to see if things settle.  Make sure you are eating well, get plenty of appropriate exercise e.g. brisk walking every day and do try relaxation techniques to help with anxiety. DG x

kenny

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 08:37:19 PM »

Thanks for your replies, I came off HRT as the one I was on stopped working, my GP put me on a different one it was dreadful, after a couple of weeks I'd had a few migraines and my mood dipped , couldn't stop crying over a few days. She asked me to stop it immediately , I couldn't believe that I could just stop it but tbh I've been great , no meno symptoms at all till the last week or so, if I need to go back on it I will but was just hoping someone could tell me this was just a blip so to speak. I am a great believer in that life is for living and if I need HRT so be it but has been very interesting how long I have been without meno symptoms .

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 09:02:44 PM »

Maybe have a chat with your GP B4 your body needs support? That will give you a chance to check on here if your GP suggests an HRT, it will be more specific?

kenny

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »

Last night was a good one , no sweats and no anxiety feeling,, I'll give it another week before seeing GP, she totally agrees if I need it I can go straight back on it. Very interesting how your body can go through so many changes. 😄

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »

Hi kenny - I can't remember how old you are? Sorry to hear that the HRT you were on stopped working.

With me - when I stopped HRT for a while (probably 6 years ago now) the symptoms did not return fully until after 3 months and I didn't notice sweats until several weeks had passed. I could have ridden it out - but I might have been one of those women for whom flushes would still be occurring 10 years later and as I was working full-time in a busy environment I wasn't prepared to try this approach so I went straight back on.

Transdermal HRT is recommended for those who suffer migraines so maybe if you think about re-starting - do some research about the different types and try something less likely to cause a migraine? Also continuous progestogens can cause continuous problems in susceptible women - which is why many of us opt to remain on a cycle (even in our 60's). I do get migraines from time to time - but not usually from the HRT, though occasionally from the progesterone part.

Glad you had a good night but yes - do go back on it if you feel you need it - and of course depending on your age?

Hurdity x

kenny

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, just picked up your reply, I've actually had quite a few good nights now,,, but,, I have a stinking cold so doesn't help working out what sweats relate to what. I'm not rushing to the docs but won't hesitate to start HRT again if I feel things are progressing. X

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »

Don't wait though ........ the treatment is there, once it kicks in you will be able to get on with stuff  ;)