Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Aches and pains ?cause lack of oestrogen and/or something else  (Read 2558 times)

flutterby

Aches and pains ?cause lack of oestrogen and/or something else
« on: December 20, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »

Stopped HRT about 3 months ago (I'm 64). From about this time but maybe a bit before I've suffered with increasing pains in legs and lower back that seem to move around. Pain in shins, then in knees, then from knee to hip, sometimes one side and sometimes both sides. Sometimes gnarling pain sometimes sharp. Feel stiff sometimes as well
Generally worse in bed. Walking feel better after say half a mile but then start feeling stiff in hips after a mile or so
I was Reluctant to to GP with such symptoms tried osteopath and back exercises but not much better booked an appointment with GP. In meantime I had auricular acupuncture for hot flushes, didn't do much for flushes but for 36 hours pain and stiffness reduced dramatically.
Saw GP yesterday she did not think it was arthritic changes because of the movement and no swelling. Suggested possibility of polymyalgia requested ESR ( should have done more homework before as I think this should be done in conjunction with CRP). When I reminded her I had come of HRT she agreed that it could be that and if the ESR drew a blank I could go back on HRT and if symptoms disappeared then we would know what it was. However I've had 3 months of it and now a bit reluctant to start again

flutterby

Re: Aches and pains ?cause lack of oestrogen and/or something else
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 03:53:48 PM »

Polyps and bleeding, changed from Evorel Sequi in January which always felt well on to Evorel 25 and continuous Utrogestan, didn't like taking so much progesterone, even though not too many side effects. On HRT for 16 years and I must admit although I wasn't worrying about a lot of the risk factors, the increased risk of a stroke did start to bother me. I did feel by the time I came off of it, the HRT Magic was ' a bit broken'. Flutterbyx

flutterby

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:32:26 PM »

No unfortunately. A couple of months ago I asked for my magnesium level to be done as I am on omeprazole and I have read that affects the uptake of magnesium which in turn affects calcium levels. I got a response of what would that prove or something similar.
Since I was last on here the practice have phoned to say the ESR was borderline, I asked what the result was and was told 19 checked the hospital where I used to work site and normal range is 5 to 15. GP wants telephone consult tomorrow afternoon

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »

ESR was used as a pregnancy test so it stands to reason that there may be a higher reading at this time of Life, 5 being the 'normal' reading one would expect.

As oestrogen levels drop off muscles may become lax = aches and pains.

flutterby

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »

Looking at some other normal ranges for ESR some land say up to 20 for females. Actually I have just had an infected hair follicle and the swelling around it was about the size of a walnut so that might of caused the slight rise because of the inflammation.
Thanks for your replies ladies, will let you know what GP says tomorrow Flutterbyx

flutterby

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 08:39:34 PM »

Original GP only works Monday and Tuesday so asked her colleague to get in touch with me. She was very nice thought like I did that it was normal for a female of my age, in fact she said when I'd had it done in 2014 it was exactly the same result I couldn't remember them saying it was borderline then. Will keep taking my multivitamin for Mg and B12 etc. But may pursue the test in the New Year, Sparkle.
Flutterbyx