Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: What to expect ?  (Read 2071 times)

Kathy55

What to expect ?
« on: November 30, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »

Hi I am a new member signing in to say hello.
 Woefully ignorant about the Menopause. Why are we women so reluctant to talk about it.
 We talk about sex, pregnancy and menstruation don't we ?

Anyway. I am 55. Fit and well. Lost a stone and a half last year at slimming world which gave me a new lease of life. I swim twice a week. Run a 5K occasionally. Don't smoke. Have the occasional glass of wine.

Periods have been erratic for a year. Haven't had one since July. This week I Started to have hot flushes. Not unbearable, just a bit weird really. Quite good today becaus it is soooo cold !

What else should I be expecting ?

Hurdity

Re: What to expect ?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »

Hi Kathy55

:welcomemm:

The key is - don't expect anything - you will read all sorts about the myriad of different symptoms that women experience but you may only experience one or two! However it's good to know what is going on in your body and also if you do experience something odd - to be able to be reassured that it may well be just due to menopause. It is always worth consulting a doctor about persistent symptoms which are new to you though, to rule out other causes - although if you've started skipping periods and getting flushes and sweats - no need to consult about this, unless you want to start HRT.

There is an excellent article about peri-menopause here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Also any of the information from the drop down tabs at the top (green banner) are extremely informative!

Glad to hear you are fit and active - and sounds like you are doing the right things to keep yourself healthy as you enter this new phase of your life!

If we can help in any way please ask - otherwise read as much as you can about menopause and hormones so that you are well-informed! :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes! Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful as when we have better days we can forget how awful we can feel.

The thing I would say is to be aware of vaginal atrophy.  It often presents as urine infection-type symptoms but is usually due to thinning skin = dryness.  Topical treatment to re-plump the vagina can ease the feelings of needing to pee all the while  ::).  We have several threads on VA!

It might be best to visit your Practice Nurse/GP to discuss how they treat menopause.  Some don't believe that a woman is suffering unless she complains of hot flushes but there is much more that can happen.  Although I've been lucky in that I had a kind of wet glow after my evening bath for a few months when I first went into peri. as well as itchy skin.  I've never had flushes but the VA was bothersome, felt like razor blades up there  :o  ::)

Ask away as necessary!

Kathy55

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 06:20:56 AM »

Thanks for your warm welcome !
Vaginal Atrophy !
Wow, I haven't heard of that.
( rushes off for massive Google search)

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 07:53:47 AM »

Hi Kathy55

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Springer

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »

Welcome!   :foryou

Helpful comments - agree, don't expect anything. You may sail through it all but useful to have some understanding of what could happen. Like you, I started with hit flushes as my periods became irregular. It seemed fine and after 6 months period free, I started to think I was through it! Let's just say that was rather naive.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 06:23:55 PM »

Just to add - not naive Springer - or perhaps many of us are! I was like you - well I thought you just skipped a few periods, had a few hot flushes, this went on for a few months and then bam - one day your periods would end and that would be it. End of menopause, symptoms done with, now get on with the rest of your life and yippee no contraception! I hadn't a clue!!! This is about 10 years ago now - when I first started reading a little bit about HRT and menopause so you are not alone!!! :)

Hurdity x