Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Verdict is in - DO NOT use a mobile whilst driving  (Read 10380 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
The Verdict is in - DO NOT use a mobile whilst driving
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »

Lorry driver Tomasz Kroker jailed over four-death crash - 10 years for using his mobile phone whilst driving a lorry  :'(-  He kept looking down at his mobile to change the music.  There was a camera in the cab ……..

No one goes out to cause an accident or to kill anyone but this was horrific for many reasons.  The families concerned had been on a camping holiday and were driving home in convoy - so the partner following behind saw the whole accident happening.  A mum, two children and a step-child killed instantly.

I think that this lorry driver should be taken round to Schools, Colleges, places of work; should talk at the Courses for those who speed etc.; go into Prison - and talk, talk, talk about his actions of almost a minute looking at his mobile changed lives forever.  Chained to his Prison Officer.  Dressed in clothing with arrows on.  Make it obvious that this man has to do 'time' for killing someone.  It wasn't even a 'death by dangerous driving' but he was done for 'dangerous driving'.

Unless the accidents that happen when drivers use social media etc. whilst driving are out in the open then it will continue to happen.

Oprah Winfrey said 'friends don't allow friends to drive drunk' - we now need a slogan for those who kill/maim whilst using mobiles.

cubagirl

Re: The Verdict is in - DO NOT use a mobile whilst driving
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »

10 years for 4 lives, is not fair! No wonder family are angry!

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »

Well said CLKD, 10 years is definitely not long enough! Such a sad story.

S x
If I had my way, anyone convicted of causing death in this way would have a life ban on driving. Plenty can never drive through no fault of their own due to health problems. Why should this driver ever drive again?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:56:24 PM »

I stand corrected, later Reports state that he was done for 'causing Death by dangerous driving'.  How about touting him around so that he can impress on the dangers of mobiles whilst driving?  I am sure that he didn't think he would cause carnage that day  :'( and that 'it' wouldn't happen to him ……..  :-\

Unless these Cases are in the public eye all the while, illegal use will continue  :sigh:

Two hoots

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:03:06 PM »

I don't drive far, just around my local area, but almost every day I see someone on a phone, it's usually a van driver who is nice and high above the cars around them.  In the past few days I've also witnessed a lorry driver folding a piece of paper that looked like a map while driving  >:(

It makes my blood boil to see someone who has caused so much heartbreak and killed these people to get such a short sentence, the law needs changing now.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 07:08:34 PM by Two hoots »

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »

The best 1 I saw was years ago; Himself was driving so I was watching white van man in my vanity mirror.  It went like this: man bends over into the passenger foot well and brings up a flask.  Undoes flask lid and removes cup.  Stands lid on front dash board.  Tips liquid into the cup.  Puts cup between knees and rescrews lid.  Drinks liquid.  We were travelling at 50 mph and he went by ……….

Now had the liquid spilled into his lap, either hot or cold, he would have been distracted  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »

Last winter daughter and I went on a coach trip holiday.  Because we were so high up we could look down into all the vehicles on the motorways.  I'm not kidding, it was so scary seeing what drivers were doing.  We just lost count of the people using mobile phones - cars, vans, petrol tankers, lorries. We saw countless people texting, we saw people watching films, we saw people reading magazines and books. 

and all of this was people driving FAST on motorways.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 08:03:01 PM »

A car can be a lethal weapon in irresponsible hands.

We all have choices when getting in a car to drive. I choose not to drink and drive at all as I know even the smallest drink affects me, even if I have less than the legal amount of alcohol in me. I will not drive if I am taking medication where you are advised not to drink. I will drive at the moment as I am suffering from asthma and my oxygen levels are down, which affects my responses. As to using a mobile, etc......

I make choices, hopefully responsible ones, but then I'm married to a retired police officer, who served some time in the traffic department. I was the wife at home who had to take my husband in her arms after he had to take charge of a similar accident, having had to councel  the young police officer who was first to arrive at the scene, who had to tell close relatives and picked up a child's Wellington from the middle of the dual carriage way.

Education can help before young adults pass their driving tests. My DH initiated a series of workshops in schools. He brought bereaved parents along (obviously when they were in an emotional place to talk about their grief) to tell their stories. The affect on these young adults was profound as they understood the ripple effect of fatal incidents. ( not accidents. Accident is word for something unavoidable.)

Cazikins

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »

In our village in the last month alone I have seen:

A female, local taxi driver flossing her teeth whilst driving. :o :o
A mother holding up her phone to show "something" to her child in the back seat whilst driving. :o :o

Although not on a motorway these incidents were still on a road with a 30 mph limit.

breeze

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 07:16:08 AM »

How do you report online. I would love to be able to do that.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 01:23:17 PM »

A few years ago I sent an e-mail to a Company - the woman behind the wheel, on the 'phone, was driving a vehicle with the Company details along the side.  Job Done!  She came back to me trying to fob off with "It was my brother who is in the Armed Services who I haven't spoken to for 3 months".  Yeh.  Right.  My response - "And?"

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »

How do you report online. I would love to be able to do that.

I'm not sure you can actually.  I've rung the police a few times when iVe seen people driving dangerously or on phones and the police told me that they can't do anything as it's just my word against theirs.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 04:37:40 PM »

One has to take photos, registration etc..  If there's an accident the Police can back-track mobile phone/computer access and prove if the driver was using ….

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 10:14:52 AM »

Did anybody see the news today. A DM reporter photographed 17 lorry drivers ALL using their mobile phones in less than an hour yesterday. I believe it was the Kent area.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »

I noted that Himself is leaving more space between us and the vehicle in front.

I would like to have the Press photos of the lorry driver bracing himself as he ran into that family, blown up and laminated.  Strung across the back of both vehicles …….. with NO EXCUSES blazoned across.  Anyone up for a Campaign ?!?

Pages: [1] 2