Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Ten years late... Hello!  (Read 1950 times)

Arty

Ten years late... Hello!
« on: October 28, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »

Hi, this is me: early menopause, first symptoms started at 38yrs, been on hrt now for about 7 years; problems with: IBS (especially awful at mo  :-\ ) memory, tiredness (most likely from work) and itchy skin every now and then.
Also: I love painting, drawing, reading about and looking at all art. I'm a mum to 20 year old student. Married for 9 years now (thankfully menopause hasn't altered libido  ;) ... although I worry about coming off hrt)
There's so much good advice here and a wonderful, supportive feel to MM that I wish I'd joined ages ago. My problems, compared to so many of you, seem trivial. 
Thanks for such a brilliant site.

Dancinggirl

Re: Ten years late... Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Arty
Stick with your HRT for as long as possible.  I had an early meno like you and came off at 49 - what a mistake!!! I lost 3 years of my life till I went back on HRT at 53 for another 4 years.  Now 60, I'm doing reasonably well without systemic HRT - I just use local oestrogen for bladder and VA problems which I may not have had so soon if I hadn't had that 3 year break from HRT in my early 50s.
Nothing is taboo here.  Keep posting  Dg x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »

:welcomemm:  forget coming off your HRT if it is helping.  Medication may not be a 'cure' but if most of your symptoms are under control, continue. 

We have a thread about 'doing stupid things'  ;D - meno-brain  ::)

Browse round.  Make notes.  As oestrogen levels drop apparently the body becomes itchy; nostrils, deep in the ears, vagina, skin …… do read our thread/s on vaginal atrophy which often presents with repeated urine-type 'infections' but is usually due to skin thinning and drying.  Once the initial urine sample has been sent TO A LAB and any infection treated with ABs, ask for atrophy treatment i.e. Vagifem or Ovestin1mg  ;)

We have threads on hobbies, i.e. cycling as well as 'dog breeds' ……. we sometimes talk about menopause  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 07:25:50 PM »

Hi Arty

:welcomemm:

Glad HRT seems to be working for you. You don't need to think about coming off it for years :).  What type are you taking?

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 07:35:18 PM »

IBS can be so controlling  >:(.  HORMONES!!!  I had 'the runs' 10 mins. B4 a bleed started, even if a period wasn't due.  It meant that around that time I was unable to plan any road trips  ::) because I had to get to the loo, fast!! 

I had IBS diagnosed in 1998.  I was unable to eat/drink anything after 4.00 p.m. and felt very sick.  My GP prescribed Colpermin peppermint capsules and I think, Motillium.  The idea was to swallow them within an hour of eating my main meals, which began calming the upper gut (Colpermin) and pushing food through the stomach (Motillium).

After about 3-5 days I felt a different person, no longer nauseous and the bloating went. I kept on this regime for many years, then changed to drinking Actimel several times a day.  That helped keep my bowels working so that I remained comfy.  PHEW!  Now if I get slow transit I re-start the Actimel pots ……… after a couple of days my bowels feel less bunged up.