Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1472 times)

EntenteCordiale

Hello!
« on: October 21, 2016, 09:51:31 AM »

Hi, I'm 51 and haven't had a period for 3 and a half years (and even that barely lasted a day and was the first one I'd had in 10 months), I did have some minor hot flushes at the time but they seemed to have tailed off, and just when I thought I'd got off fairly lightly, I've been hit with really strong symptoms - horrible hot flushes, which with the change to autumn have left me not knowing how to deal with them, as I'm freezing one minute and boiling the next. I'm a person who naturally feels the cold, so for example I always sleep with socks on, even in the summer, and now I take them off because I'm boiling then wake in the night with freezing feet  :(! it's really debilitating, as I'm sure everyone on here knows only too well.

I've also got awful digestion problems which I think are a result of anxiety and hormones - I have had an endoscopy and there is nothing sinister, just gastritis and acid reflux, but that also wakes me in the night, with burning, griping pain. I did have terrible insomnia a few years ago and to be fair that has eased off, I regularly used to get up at 4 or 5 am and be like a zombie all day, but I feel somehow older and less able to cope now when I do lose sleep and wonder how I functioned a few years ago when it was at its worst!

The worst thing is probably the crippling anxiety, verging on panic attacks occasionally when they coincide with other real-world stresses (of which I like everyone have plenty!) It's either over-worrying about specific things or just a general feeling of impending doom, which is hard to live with.

SarahLou

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 10:19:48 AM »

hi!

i am a newbie myself, having been without a period for over a year. just this week started on sequential HRT

here, have a hug!

are you thinking of trying some kind of HRT?

EntenteCordiale

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:20:23 AM »

Hi SarahLou, thanks, and a hug for you too!  :)

I'm not sure to be honest, this has all come as a bit of a shock, but I'm certainly open to it if it'll help.

Think I need to go and see my doctor!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 07:14:18 PM »

Hi EntenteCordiale

:welcomemm:

Yes what an interesting username!

I agree with SarahLou that HRT would be a good idea if you are not contra-indicated -  yes also good idea to visit the doc - they may offer a blood tests and I think this would help give a baseline as to your general health eg if any of your symptoms are caused by anything else such as vitamin deficiencies, thyroid problems etc. Do mention the flushes rather than dwelling on your anxiety because some doctors who are not well-informed about menopause, will prescribe anti-depressants when anxiety is mentioned, rather than HRT if a woman is post-menopausal - as some doctors think that if you are "through the menopause" you won't need HRT! I don't mean to pre-empt their response but just as well to be forewarned.

If you want to know anything  else and about HRT please do ask :)

YOU DON'T NEED TO SUFFER !!!!!

Hurdity x :)

EntenteCordiale

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 03:33:07 PM »

Thank you, that's really helpful - I'll definitely make an appointment.

I'm glad you like the username, I'm not French but I was racking my brains for a username and that popped into my head, no idea why!  ;D

EntenteCordiale

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »

I'm not at work tomorrow so I'm going to make an appointment to see a doctor - can I just ask, does the HRT help with anxiety? Just helping with the flushes and sleeping would be a huge bonus, but the anxiety is really awful to live with too  :( :(

I'm sure there are loads of threads about this already but I haven't found my way round the forums yet, still just dipping my toes!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 11:54:51 AM »

:welcomemm:   as oestrogen levels drop off muscles become lax = hiatus hernia, therefore reflux etc. are 'common'.  Eating earlier in the evening and not taking my medication too close to going to bed means that I can keep reflux at bay.  Otherwise the moment I lay down  :-\