Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Low ferritin levels & cyclical HRT  (Read 2596 times)

Helen Lilley

Low ferritin levels & cyclical HRT
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:19:52 PM »

Hello there.  Hoping I might get some advice from you all.  I've recently been to my GP because my periods were becoming more frequent.  I've just started my 4th one since 24th August and had a blood test done a few weeks ago to check hormone levels. 

I don't know what they turned out to be, as my GP found from the blood tests that my ferritin levels were low.  I'm trying to increase the number of iron-rich foods in my diet, and am also taking Spatone supplements.  My GP wants another blood test done this month (going Monday) and has suggested either having Mirena coil fitted, alongside taking iron tablets, or cyclical HRT.  I'm erring towards the HRT, but thought I'd ask your advice as well. 

Hoping you can help 😊

matildamouse

Re: Low ferritin levels & cyclical HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 01:01:45 AM »

Remember that vit C helps with the absorption of iron, so might want to look into that as well.

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:43:43 AM »

Iron supplements alone (with vit c) may help. It's bizarre, but sometimes bleeding can lead to anemia which in turn leads to more excessive bleeding.

Aside from that,  I think which option you choose depends on your situation. The Mirena would offer contraceptive protection. Cyclical hrt would help other menopause symptoms if you are having hot flushes, etc. If I recall you are a younger member, so the estrogen of cyclical hrt may have some health benefits for you in bone and cardio protection. And you should also have another option of starting with the Mirena and adding in estrogen later if you feel you need it, in that case you wouldn't have to cycle with a progestin as your Mirena would provide that porion of the hrt.  I think all of these are good options and it's something you really have to dive in and try before you know how it will work for you.

Helen Lilley

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:55:00 AM »

I am taking the Spatone with a glass of orange juice, and also drinking squash with added vitamin C. 

If anyone has been on iron tablets, did you find you also had to take some kind of laxative?  It's really not something I want to do, but as I am a stay-at-home parent to kids aged 7 - 13, I realise I can't afford to be ill either.  My GP is sceptical about the Spatone helping enough. 

Well remembered Lizab - I am younger.  Just coming up to 44, so guessing the cyclical one will be what I need to take. 

H

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:16:08 AM »

My ferritin is also very low . You need to ask your levels , never take there word for in range etc.

I can't tolerate prescription iron either .

So I use feroglobin slow release , double dose when a period it takes time but it does get the iron up.

However if it stays low investigations are supposed to be done , starting with a transvaginal scan and a colonoscopy to rule out bleeding from both those areas.

Lizab

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »

I don't remember what form of tablet I was given, except that it was supposed to be gentle on the digestion. It also failed to improve my ferritin levels quickly enough. After 2 months my number had barely risen so I switched to Floradix liquid and had great results and no tummy issues.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »

Yes I have this too - My ferritin levels have been 6 at their lowest and more recently, 9.  If you really want to increase your levels and quickly, you will need to take Ferrous Fumerate 305mg, twice a day.  Yes it does have a laxative effect but it's worth it to get your levels up.  You'll need to take this for 3 months.  Changing your diet and taking a low doseage iron tablet, won't really make any difference.

Do you know what your levels were by the way?