Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and Oestrogen  (Read 1959 times)

Dawncam

Anxiety and Oestrogen
« on: October 20, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »

Whilst researching for yet more answers!!!! I found this site. Although I've never suffered from anxiety, I know many ladies on here do and thought it might be helpful. Apologies if it's already well known.

http://psycheducation.org/hormones-and-mood-introduction/basic-information-about-estrogen-in-psychiatry/

Tempest

Re: Anxiety and Oestrogen
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 10:18:09 AM »

Thanks, Dawncam! I think what's important to note here is that the study looked at women whose estrogen levels are already high and have borderline personality disorder and then went onto B.C. pills containing high levels of estrogen and also women who used Premarin. It's not an inclusive study of the effect of all estrogens, populations of users or comparitive dosages.

Also, I'm confused exactly HOW they measured estrogen levels in the women on Premarin as Premarin does not produce levels that can be tested as it is a conjugated equine estrogen.

It would be good if an up to date exhaustive study was carried out on this subject.

Dawncam

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 10:54:27 AM »

Thanks Tempest - I don't think he'd come to any real conclusions other than there's a link between high/low E and depression/anxiety. Once again, all down to dosage, type and route. But maybe some women using bcp in peri or Meno are too high in E as the levels of E are much higher in these preparations. In terms of Premarin, he did say: "If she's taking Premarin, she should talk with her doctor about switching to estradiol so that her level can be checked (because you can't do so on Premarin; here's a description of that problem)".

I didn't mean to be prescriptive, just clutching at straws as we all do from time to time, knowing there's links between various symptoms and just trying to find a solution.

Dx

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »

You are correct about what he says about Premarin! Sorry, I missed that bit. ;)

I know what you're saying - we're all trying to figure out what on earth is going on with the mental side of things. Peri is particularly tricky, it's true. I had one hell of a time during that period with Estrogen highs and lows! In fact, still getting pretty severe problems now in trying to stabilise my estrogen in surgical menopause! This I think points to the cause probably being fluctuations, as well as increased adrenal activity if our bodies aren't getting sufficient estrogen. I know when my estrogen plummets, anxiety increases as my adrenals struggle to make up the shortfall. Also, estrogen rising too quickly causes me these problems too. It's much easier to see and feel the picture I think when you have no background input from your ovaries, but I wouldn't recommend forsaking your ovaries to anyone!!!!

He was certainly right when he says that Estrogen's effects are complex! :o

dangermouse

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:40:30 PM »

Thanks for this. This oestrogen effect is interesting:
an increase in brain norepinephrine levels;
a decrease in dopamine release.

It makes sense with my high oestrogen levels as my adrenaline is also high for most of the month and I feel that lack of the lovely dopamine effect that motivates you and makes you want to be social.

Apparently testosterone does the opposite (raises dopamine and lowers adrenaline) so might try my BHRT testosterone on its own to see if it helps.

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 09:52:06 PM »

I have high oestrogen and social anxiety, and I know if I go to 100mcg on my patch I'm so jittery I can't cope so am sticking at 75

X