Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Asthma?  (Read 3857 times)

lily

Asthma?
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »

Any asthma sufferers on here? I ask because I've had a dry cough for ages which I'm beginning to wonder about. Really bothers me when I lie down to sleep, feel my chest is tight when lying on my side but can't sleep on my back. Have also noticed when talking sometimes I run out of steam and it's like there's no more breath there to use.

Annie0710

Re: Asthma?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »

Yes me

Was diagnosed @2010

I would struggle to breathe in the night.  I have many allergies and they diagnosed allergy induced asthma

I use the pink pump with the spacer (it has the steroid and reliever combined) and find that helps more than the separate ones x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:40:30 AM »

Yep me Lily though mine is mostly allergic asthma.

Started with cats in my late teens and then kicked in with all sorts of other things when peri started, in fact I became generally more allergic and reactive at that stage. I had a period of time about 2 years into peri when I felt just how you're describing and Doc sent me off to the Brompton Hosp for allergy tests. Oh my that was an education, I was reacting to all sorts of things. For a while I took a preventative inhaler daily in addition to my usual 'emergency' inhaler, however, it suddenly all calmed and pretty soon I was just back taking my inhaler if faced with an allergen. I seemed to go through a super reactive spell with a ridiculous list of triggers including when I peeled potatoes!!  ???

Now, aside from being exposed to the allergens, I only need it if I'm climbing very steep hills or mountains. I can walk miles on the flat but as soon as I start to climb I am forced to take it.

Have you had an asthma check recently? Time to change or adjust meds? With winter coming it might be an idea to get it checked out.

Oh my, this peri/meno malarkey is just a gift that keeps on giving! x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 06:37:52 PM »

Hello lily.

I don't have asthma but I do know someone who was diagnosed in peri so perhaps it's not that unusual.

A GP once told me that they look for signs of wheezing when diagnosing asthma and that the breathing problem arises from not being able to exhale fully.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Take care.

K.

lily

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 07:26:34 PM »

Thanks for replies - dr gave me nasal spray last year, but not helping. Had camera up nose last year to check for polyps and look at vocal chords - all fine. Think I will make appt to have asthma check.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

I have had asthma since I was a few months old. I have found asthma has changed in the kind of symptoms I had through my life.

As a baby, coughing, often at night, was the main symptom. As a child, I had the classic symptoms associated asthma, wheezing, sometimes severe and not controlled by medication available at the time. It could be triggered by numerous allergens, physical activity, stress, infection and so on.

As I got older, the symptoms were not so obvious. Tightness in the chest as if my lungs were in a vice. Doctors would listen to my chest and say I was fine because they couldn't hear the tell tale wheeze, so I had no choice but to wait for the symptoms to worsen, before I was given appropriate treatment.

Things are better now, thanks to peak flow meters and better medication. You are encouraged to manage your symptoms, thereby avoiding that I encountered when I was younger. The last time I had a bad bout of asthma following infection and requiring a stay in hospital, it was heralded by a cough and tightness in the chest. It was not obvious to my family that there was something very wrong. It was my saying I was scared, which was not normal, that alerted them.

I suggest you check with your doctor. He will probably ask you to blow into a peak flow meter and check the result with what is normal for your age, etc. and consider your symptoms. There are other conditions that could cause your symptoms of course. You may well just have an infection that is taking ages to clear, but don't hesitate going to the doctor. You are not making a fuss.

lily

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:39:58 PM »

Thanks Ju Ju, getting weary if it as feel like I always have a sore throat and when I start the dry cough, I end up boaking 😰

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 10:29:32 PM »

I'm an asthma sufferer too. Like you lily, often lying down makes it worse.  Only thing which helps are inhalers. Hubby is asthma sufferer too. He is more of a wheezer, where I'm a cougher.

lily

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »

Thanks cubagirl, really need to get an appt made - last night was terrible  :'(

cubagirl

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »

My hubby made an appointment after much nagging from myself about him wheezing. He went today & got inhalers. Just hope he uses them!