Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estrogel - Covered In A Rash!  (Read 14594 times)

Tempest

Estrogel - Covered In A Rash!
« on: October 17, 2016, 08:56:40 PM »

So this started yesterday. :'( Where I apply my gel (inner thighs)  broke out in itchy red spots but I thought I would persevere and didn't want to post about this earlier as I've posted about so many problems before, that I thought I would be wearing everyone's patience!

Fast forward to tonight's application at 7.30, and now both thighs and upper arm where I apply my additional smidge of gel are covered in this rash, and it's burning like crazy! I just don't get it. I used it for 9 weeks on a previous occasion, and this didn't happen then. I do have a history of severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) and chronic urticaria which has been well under control with a high dose of cetirizine.

I'm at the end of my tether. I'll be phoning Professor Lumsden's secretary tomorrow, and hope she can get hold of her as she also works half of the week in London and is hard to get hold of. And I'm going to traipse off to the GP to get this rash checked out.

I really feel like I'm doomed. :'( :'(

Tempest

Re: Estrogel - Covered In A Rash!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:26:11 PM »

Thank you, Stellajane.

Wow, it's weird isn't it? My allergies including the urticaria started at the beginning of peri too. I'm sorry that you're now having problems with Utrogestan too!

In my experience it's often been when I've taken something medication wise, stopped it and then started it again that I have a reaction. I never thought it would happen with the Estrogel though. :(

I carry 2 epi pens so that I'm always prepared, but yes - I'm taking no chances!

Babsm67

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 11:49:23 AM »

I had a delayed reaction to Oestrogel when I had been using it for around four to five days - the itching was unbearable (especially on my scalp) & bumps started appearing mainly on my face & neck but also elsewhere.  I stopped using it and everything started to subside within a couple of days so I know that was the culprit.  I had also used it before but had no reaction.  It may be an ingredient that helps the gel spread easier.  These things seem to come on suddenly - I had the same thing with penicillin.  However, I tried Evorel patches & had no reaction at all - I don't normally react to adhesives though.
I hope you can get to the bottom of it & be able to be given an alternative and no, you are not testing our patience - please keep posting xxx

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »

Tempest I can't help but you will never test our patience, you are such a well thought of member, and this forum is to help one another anyway and you participate hugely on both parts so never worry.  We all want to see you get the correct regime in place xxxx

Tempest

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »

Hi, Madbloss. Sorry you had a bad reaction to the gel too! I'm so glad you are ok on Evorel instead. It's interesting that you're also allergic to Penicillin - I am DEADLY allergic to Trimethoprim which is an antibiotic mainly used for UTI's - I had biphasic anaphylaxis to this that was almost fatal (subsequently, I'm now very nervous around all antibiotics)!

Thank you so very much for your lovely, kind words Annie - it's is so very much appreciated! Your posts keep me going - I'm really hoping for the T to kick in for you soon. I've read it can take about 6 weeks, so by Christmas you'll be formidable! Just warn Mr. Annie well in advance...... ;)

And thank you so much for your kindness too, Stellajane. I'm reactive to adhesives too! I always have to refuse plasters and tape on dressings for this reason - the skin puffs up and goes spongey and weepy. Oh, we're so lucky aren't we??? >:(

Anyway, I phoned Professor Lumsden's secretary today and explained the urgency of the situation considering my profile of serious reactions, and she promised to contact Professor Lumsden as soon as we got off the phone and get back to me today. Well, it's now almost 5.30 pm and I've heard nothing. I double checked she had my number and I've been close by the phone all day. I didn't go to the GP as I was relying on a reply, but wish I had now. As I am very fearful of a hormone crash (and it can and does happen catastrophically for me even after 12 hours of missing a dose), I have no choice tonight but to use 1 pump to just about keep me going, and I'll need to keep my diazepam handy just in case I feel awful with anxiety from the drop and my Epi pens in case of anything else! It's a good thing it's Hubby's 'weekend' today and tomorrow, so at least he'll be here. :o
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 04:25:49 PM by Tempest »

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »

I hope you'll be ok Tempest 😘 Xx

Tempest

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »

Thank you, Annie! I'm a bit nervous about using it again tonight, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's just a skin reaction and doesn't go systemic! I'll be phoning the GP tomorrow anyway to see them as I don't think I can rely on anything being done by my next dose by Professor Lumsden, but you never know. Best not to leave it to chance. :o

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 05:01:44 PM »

I would have stopped using it - it may not be the product but the coating or any fillers.  Let us know how you get on!

Annie0710

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 05:10:21 PM »

It's not as easy as that CLKD for Tempest .  Tempest has a terrible time when her oestrogen runs even lower x

dangermouse

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 05:35:27 PM »

I read some women have this reaction when they use the same site to apply it and it helped them to rotate. Perhaps use it on your inner arms tonight as that was where Studd told my friend to use it regardless (I had only seen inner thighs mentioned before she told me).

Tempest

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »

Thank you CLKD but Annie is right, sadly! It's pretty much true of all ladies in surgical menopause, if HRT is stopped abruptly we 'crash' and it's catastrophic as our adrenals can't rise to the challenge quickly enough. Its a phenomena I thought was unique to me, until I did my research - over at Hystersisters, this is often talked about and ladies are fiercely discouraged from just stopping their HRT suddenly by those that have experienced it! You literally feel like you have gone mad - and it happens pretty fast, too! :o

Hi Dangermouse, and thank you! Yes, it makes sense that sensitisation can happen over time especially where hair follicles are present. I've been examining my rash and am wondering if this is the problem, that the gel is blocking the follicles and making them inflamed. It kind of looks like barber's rash, to be honest! If so, this is interesting what Studd recommended to your friend as the inner arms don't have any hair follicles, so maybe this is his thinking? Clever man, in that case! ;)

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »

HysterSisters is where I occasionally go Tempest! I was directed to daisy network by my GP when I was 45 and felt too old there lol x

Tempest

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 09:13:26 PM »

I lurk there constantly! ;)

It has to be said that there ARE two sides of the coin Stateside though. It really is a case if the 'have's and have not's' over there, very sadly. If you've got great insurance or ready cash, the world is your oyster as regards to HRT. If you're on welfare or skint, you're pretty much scuppered. :(

I've read of women who had to decide if they should fill their prescription, or buy groceries for the family for the month. They have had to give up their HRT. At least we DO have the NHS, but it's just not as efficient as it could be and there is a lot of waste on 'bums on seats' in my opinion and a lack of communication and continuity for good patient care.

We hysterectomised and oopherectomised ladies really are given a bum deal - we didn't have a CHOICE when it came to our surgeries and after care regarding effective HRT is atrocious! Likewise, knowledge of GP's as to the specific needs of this group of women is appalling - especially bullying these women off their HRT after 5 years, which they shouldnt be doing to ANY woman in any case. This is particularly concerning as more women are now being screened as BRCA positive so there are now more women in this group of a younger age than ever before. Surely proper provision should be made to account for this? >:(

Annie0710

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »

Once again I agree with everything you say

I do feel fortunate that I stumbled across my lovely GP only recently

My hysterectomy was on the cards for years, and none of it was my doing

when I was 23 and pregnant a scan revealed my baby girl had major abnormalities that would result in her being 'incompatible with life' I went through a long labour and after she was born the placenta wouldn't deliver, they pulled at pulled at the cord and it broke causing me to haemorrhage, I was rushed to theatre and post op they said I may have problems, I delivered my son when I was 24, normal delivery but I couldn't wear tampons ever again, they told me I had a complete prolapse, and other than full repair hysterectomy was the only answer.  I delivered a big baby when I was 28 and had to have bits pushed back up in delivery. So came the Hysterectomy at 32, then the ovaries failed.  I don't know whether if I'd kept the uterus my meno would be different or easier x

Tempest

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 04:37:07 PM »

A wee update! Professor Lumsden has really come through, and will see me again at her clinic next Tuesday. :)

For now, I'm to continue with the gel CAUTIOUSLY. It may be a change in the composition of my sweat of all things that is causing this! Especially as it's now elsewhere in sweaty places (ugh)! Considering my hormone levels have been very, very low (she confirmed this) and are now hopefully rising, this makes sense. I feel like Frankenstein's monster (can they rebuild her? Dunno! But I sure hope so)!  :D

She doesn't want my levels to drop again, as she is definitely considering an implant in January. I also explained that the fluctuations on the gel are driving me bonkers - in ladies like myself, the gel can be very up and down so not ideal. Ideally, she would have liked me up to 4 pumps by January, but we will review what is exactly happening now in light of recent developments.

Some good news though - in the last 2 days, the dreaded Buddha belly is recedeing a tad and the fluid retention seems to be easing too. It might be a glitch, but I hope not! The saga continues.........
Pages: [1] 2