Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: How quickly your health can change  (Read 6253 times)

Pennyfarthing

How quickly your health can change
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:47:56 AM »

Until I got my bad knee earlier this summer I was doing brisk, timed walks every day, cycling and prior to that had been enjoying yoga.

I used to walk alone and also walk with a group sometimes. If I went shopping with friends or family they were always asking me to slow down as I went too fast.

I am so fed up that I can't do what I could just a few months ago although most days on holiday I managed 10,000 steps with plenty of rests in between.

My friend who is the same age is  the same ... but with atrial fribulation (sp?) and she's now on medication which makes her feel terrible. She recently went to a beautiful park and had a very slow amble whereas just months ago she was whizzing around there!

I for one certainly took my good health for granted.  :'(

Janice68

Re: How quickly your health can change
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »

Yep! we do take our health for granted thats for sure!!! Gratitude then comes in!!!
J x

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 12:10:03 PM »

It's very true that we take the fact our bodies 'just work' for granted ... until they don't!

PF - please suggest to your friend that she goes back to the doc re her AF meds - there are several different ones and the one she's on obviously doesn't suit her.  My hubby has AF and it took him 3 attempts to find the right drug combination for him - his AF is now controlled and he feels well and 'normal', but the first couple of attempts saw him suffer with nightmares, muscle aches and fatigue, general malaise and (very unusual for him) headaches.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »

PF - see my response about physio. in the other thread  ;).

I too feel that I take my over-all 'good' health for granted.  Except that each day I am anxiety free, I take time to smell the roses.  Like Wed. morning, felt OK until 11.30-ish then began to feel hung over.  Right in the top of my skull over the eyes rather than at the back of the head.  Seemed a cold was starting  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »

…. 'unless anxiety strikes'  :-\  :'(

getting_old

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 05:39:58 PM »

It's strange but since approaching 50 I seem to have become much more aware of my health and worry more about the future and how it could affect me. Until then I definitely took it for granted despite having bad knee pain since my late 30's (inherited from my mother / grandmother). I do try to keep fit but my eating habits are shocking so I know at some point I'll pay the price and that does worry me.

kpatton56

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »

Getting old
If it worries you, do something about it...
40 years as a nurse have taught me that it really is important to look after your body. It is a very precious and finely tuned thing. You wouldn't put the wrong fuel into a Rolls Royce...😜

cubagirl

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 10:03:19 PM »

I think we take our bodies for granted, assuming we can still do same activities as we once did. We can, for the most part, but at a much slower pace. Takes less to feed us too, which we tend to forget. Oh the joys!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 12:49:21 PM »

Getting old
If it worries you, do something about it...
40 years as a nurse have taught me that it really is important to look after your body. It is a very precious and finely tuned thing. You wouldn't put the wrong fuel into a Rolls Royce...😜

I've always looked after my body and especially in the last few years.  I used to smoke and gave up about 13 years ago. I don't drink. I cycle, did yoga for many years and until I got this bad knee I used to do a timed, brisk walk every day and also did longer walks with a group a few times a month.

I cook all our meals from scratch, using local veg, salad and fruit where possible. I don't take sugar, I eat very little bread, I never eat ready meals, I only drink skimmed milk and we only eat lean meats and fish.  I love cooking so our meals are well balanced and nutritious. We usually have a pasta night, a fish night, a veggie night, a roast nights etc. 

I believe there's only so much you can do ... a lot of ill health is down to bad luck or genetic conditions.
I've lost a friend to breast cancer who was the fittest person I knew and a PE teacher all her life, a friend who died at 51 from MS, another friend of a similar age from bowel cancer and she was a Food Technology teacher who cycled everywhere and was super fit.

If you saw a few of the nurses at our GP practice you'd have a shock. One is about 15 years younger than me and you could put a tea tray on her backside and her uniform is straining at the seams.  ;D

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »

Heck PF would you like to move in with me?

I do love my fresh veg and salads but I confess I don't really like cooking so given half a chance my preference would be to combine them with a high end ready meal several times a week! I love hot puddings and could easily eat one every day - bramley apple crumble and lashings of hot custard ...mmm. I know its comfort food - it goes back to childhood when mum cooked us a hot dinner and pudding every night after school.

As you say, a lot is down to pure luck of the draw or genetics

;D Yes - some of the nurses at our local hospital are ginormous.  It does make me wonder if patients sit listening to them and think oh yes she's telling me to do all this but she doesn't really mean it!

OMG Hot puddings are my downfall and I just can't have them or I pile on weight. :'(. You should have seen the dessert section on holiday!  I dare not even go near it or I would have piled on the weight.

Tonight I made my own turkey burgers (only 2% fat) with minced turkey, red onions, soy sauce, few chilli flakes and Seasoning. We also had jacket potatoes and asparagus.  I also made a dip with natural yoghourt and chives from the garden.  Dessert was meringue nest and sliced banana with yoghourt on top.