Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Duvet  (Read 2051 times)

willow

Duvet
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:07:05 AM »

Hi  I have suffered from very bad sleep for years now only a few hours a night and in the summer its lovely to have a light duvet but in the winter it gets colder and you need a little more but there so heavy as continually pushing them off  and on due to hot flushes too.  So any ideas re a duvet for winter and any miracles as to my sleep as have just about given up but its so tiring esp when working too.  Thanks everyone

bramble

Re: Duvet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:52:37 AM »

I am 63 and still pushing my duvet off and on. Spent a small fortune on a duvet that was supposed to help - waste of money.. don't think there is a solution.

Annidav

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »

hi - I bought a pack of two cooling gel pillows from Amazon- they helped a bit -was willing to try anything! They aren't all plumped up like normal pillows but are more or less flat.   

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »

I have a 4.5 for summer, and a microfiber 10 tog for winter, and sheet for hot weather.  I also have an old-fashioned quilt that I use as a throw.

In hot weather, I use the sheet.  If it is a bit cooler, then I put the quilt over.
In warm weather, I use the summer duvet.
In warm weather that is a bit nippy round the edges, I put the quilt over the foot part folded in half, and pull it up if cold or fold it into quarter, if hot.
When it goes cold, I put the winter duvet on with the quilt on the feet, folding it up and down as needed.
When it is very cold, I replace the quilt with the summer duvet and fold it up and down as needed. 

Flexible  8)

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 04:07:51 PM »

If you can afford it - or save your money and buy a pure goose down one - they are incredibly light but very warm so easy to throw off. Last winter we bought an 80% goose down one for the first time and it's amazing (cheaper than 100 % but a bit crunchy with the feathers in!). Also bought a pure goose down one this summer 3.5 tog - which is far too hot - but so easy just to move out of the way in the night so that you are sleeping outside of it. I'm on HRT but still seem to overheat at night from time to time. Also get pure something pillows with something like Coolmax protector or similar - natural fibres are supposed to be more cooling than microfibre. We're still with the summer duvet....

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »

I ditched our duvet years ago as it made my allergic rhinitis a lot worse.  Went back to layers of cotton sheets , a light 'throw' and an old-fashioned 'quilt' thingy ……. one that I had when I was 3 years old. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 04:19:06 PM »

"eiderdown" which probably doesn't have eider down in it ………  ::)

Elizabethrose

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 04:29:39 PM »

Hi Willow

Hot flushes and night sweats kicked in big time for me this year and I've slept under a top sheet and very light cellular cotton blanket since April. I returned to a duvet last night for the first time.

I have a 100% goose down duvet which is extremely comfortable. I too cannot bear being weighed down in bed, especially my feet, and as it is extremely light it's very easy to shrug off in the night as you need to.

Ms Saucy

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »

Hi there.
I have one of those soft blankets you get from stores like Primark.......soft, cuddly, warm and light. Goes everywhere with me ...
Ms Saucy xx

dazned

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 04:47:14 PM »

I use 4tog duvet all year round ,very light,but easy to snuggle up in when it gets colder.

kew

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 07:50:01 PM »

Look at wool filled duvet, they help to regulate body temperature and are not very heavy.