Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: unlucky today  (Read 5479 times)

Katejo

unlucky today
« on: September 23, 2016, 08:56:51 PM »

I woke up in the middle of the night (at 2am today) and needed a drink. I managed to spill water on the floor while filling the kettle so mopped it up with a tea towel but missed one bit. A few minutes later I slipped and fell. On the way down I whacked my mouth and chin on the kitchen unit. My face was swollen and is  is now purple/blue/black but slowly improving.  I went to A & E as a precaution to make sure that i hadn't cracked my jaw. Fortunately not but they kept me there for quite a while and checked several other things at the same time.
Now off to bed. Tried to watch Strictly but too sleepy so will see it tomorrow on Tivo.    ???

Dancinggirl

Re: unlucky today
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:00:43 PM »

:hug: DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »

:o :o :o and Himself is wincing too.

:foryou: - put the light on in the kitchen next time?  ::)  I fell about 10 years ago, flat onto my face in the back yard, onto concrete.  Oh the colours …….. black, blue, yellow, tinged green. 

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »

I did have the light on in the kitchen. ☺ face is slow to lose bruising. Also have been feeling generally rough in the past week. Thought that UTI had returned but had test at the hospital  when there for accident and nothing found. Those symptoms have calmed down today but still aching/ fuzzy and feeling hot some of the time.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 06:27:27 PM »

I would imagine there's an element of shock Katejo, no wonder you're feeling off today!

S x

I was already feeling off when it happened so it's not just this injury.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 07:44:10 PM »

Get some treatment for Vaginal Atrophy is you haven't already?!?

Works wonders.  When mine starts I feel 'off' even though I know there's no infection present, it's general dryness affecting me internally.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »

Get some treatment for Vaginal Atrophy is you haven't already?!?

Works wonders.  When mine starts I feel 'off' even though I know there's no infection present, it's general dryness affecting me internally.

I did look into this about a year ago and a GP prescribed Estriol but i never used it for 2 reasons:

1. The problem cleared up at the time and i haven't had it back until just now
2. I read the leaflet and it said that Estriol interacts with Tegretol and is thus less effective. I queried this with the doctor who claimed that it didn't matter as much for external application but I wasn't convinced. Does anyone take Estriel orally?

I still doubt that I have this. Looked up the symptoms again this morning. I don't have any burning/irritation/discomfort when passing water. I just get a general discomfort and sometimes needing to pass water more frequently.  i do know what the burning is like as I did have it on a previous occasion some years ago

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »

Katejo - you posted

"I still doubt that I have this. Looked up the symptoms again this morning. I don't have any burning/irritation/discomfort when passing water. I just get a general discomfort and sometimes needing to pass water more frequently."

Sounds just like VA to me.
What do you think it is?
I don't know. However I have now   read that Estriol also reduces the effectiveness of Levothyroxine which i also take.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 05:16:55 PM »

Have a chat with a Pharmacist?  He can if necessary contact the various Manufacturers to see how much it is likely to interfere with other medication, VA treatments are very night for 2 weeks then every 3rd and every 5/6th night so maybe it won't interfere once the initial load is done?

What ever, if VA takes a hold it can be difficult to relieve symptoms and can lead to other problems 'down' there.   :sigh: ….. in the mean time use a good vaginal lubricant, i.e. KY Jelly, to keep the area moist and supple.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »

Have a chat with a Pharmacist?  He can if necessary contact the various Manufacturers to see how much it is likely to interfere with other medication, VA treatments are very night for 2 weeks then every 3rd and every 5/6th night so maybe it won't interfere once the initial load is done?

What ever, if VA takes a hold it can be difficult to relieve symptoms and can lead to other problems 'down' there.   :sigh: ….. in the mean time use a good vaginal lubricant, i.e. KY Jelly, to keep the area moist and supple.

I'll try though I don't find the pharmacists that helpful usually. Today I checked the Epilepsy action website to see their section on Menopause. It doesn't go into much detail but says that an oestrogen only treatment isn't advisable. Can KY jelly be bought over the counter?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 08:07:48 PM »

Yes, as can Sylk and other vaginal preparations.  Most Pharmacists should be helpful, they have private rooms these days, so take a list and ask for advice.  Mine is really useful and quicker than going to a GP ……….

Katejo

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 02:48:54 AM »

You may be right but the leaflet which came with the treatment does warn against using it if you are taking epilepsy medication.
My urine test was clear but I am not convinced that I haven't got a uti. I didn't want to take more ab but have decided to compromise  as i do have a 5 day  course of Trimethroprim. I am going to take them for 3 days to see if there is any improvement. If there is, i will finish the course. If not i will stop taking them and see the GP about the possibility of Vaginal atrophy. I have an appointment booked for Friday. I will try to speak to a pharmacist before the GP appt.
Yesterday there was a link on this forum  to an article from the Daily Mail about unreliability of urine tests for diagnosing uti. It seems to have disappeared for some reason. I did read it and that is why I am going for this course of action.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »

Take over the counter pain relief rather than 3 days of AB as it is building up a resistance - if 5 days is required??? however that particular drug made me too ill to continue after 2 days  :-\

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:25:26 PM »

Take over the counter pain relief rather than 3 days of AB as it is building up a resistance - if 5 days is required??? however that particular drug made me too ill to continue after 2 days  :-\
sorry as I didn't make myself clear. I will take all 5 days but will probably know after 3 days whether it will work. I do need 5 days because the AB interacts with my regular medication. The effect is that it passes through me more quickly than normal. A doctor advised me of that.
On my way home today I will ask a pharmacist about VA treatment.
When you buy the lubrication jelly (forgotten the right name) is it behind the counter?

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 05:44:56 PM »

How did you get on?

KY etc. can be bought over the counter.  VA HRT is prescription only.
Pages: [1] 2