Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Who do you believe?  (Read 2173 times)

Annemaria

Who do you believe?
« on: September 22, 2016, 11:21:51 PM »

My GP and GYN assured me that vagifem was perfectly safe and of course I believed them. Naturally, I had to research this for and hour straight. Everywhere I go there is the cancer warning glaring in my face about unopposed estrogens. Yes, it's working for me, but I still have the concerns hanging over my head.
Who am I supposed to believe? Are they lying to me? Anyone else feel this way? :-\

Annemarie

Dana

Re: Who do you believe?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »

The problem with unopposed estrogen is only for the types used as patches, gels and pills. These encourage the uterus lining to grow. It doesn't apply to the topical estrogen like vagifem.

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:21:07 AM »

They put the same side effects in vagifem as local oestrogen.

I can promise you if vaginal atrophy takes " hold" , it's is hideous can ruin you're quality of life , use it .

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »

Use it and STOP reading un-solicited info on the 'net.  If it were as dangerous as supposed by scare mongerers NICE would not have allowed it to be prescribed.

It has a local up-take so is unlikely to infiltrate the rest of the body.   I had breast disease in the 1990s but still use localised HRT [Ovestin1mg] as necessary, Quality of Life Girl, Quality of Life!!!!  Without treatment I wouldn't be here as the feeling of razor blades up there was impossible to live with!

If your GP and Consultant were selling you products it might be a different situation but this is via the NHS, Yes?

Belladonna

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »

I think vagifem has estradiol? There is another type of estrogen in ovestrin which works only locally and has practically zero systemic effect. If you feel worried you could maybe switch to that and know you will be safe. It's still effective against vaginal atrophy.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 07:38:38 PM »

Yes you're right there Belladonna. Ovestin contains estriol as does - surprisingly enough - estriol cream! Estriol has greater affinity for beta-receptors (think I'm remembering correctly - my old link to the paper doesn't work any more so can't check this - but it's one or the other!) whereas estradiol binds more readily to alpha receptors, both of which are present in quantity in vagina, urethra and bladder. As far as I remember, as you say Belladonna it (estriol) has even less potential effect on the endometrium than local estradiol, but due to the receptors in the vagina the recommended dosage for vaginal atrophy is designed to have the same effect as estradiol ie Vagifem.

Hurdity x