Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Please need advice on Utrogestan and bleeding before end of the course.  (Read 1698 times)

Goosieloosie

Hoping someone can give me some advice as I just don't know what to do next & my GP is pretty clueless with this regime. Anyway I began using the Utrogestan & Estradot 50 patch regime back in Feb with the 200mg x 12 days of Utrogestan vaginally and this was working as it should with a bleed approx 3 days after stopping, however after 3 months of this I decided to cut down the Utrogestan to 100mg x 12 days as I was getting migraine after the 12 days in the gap between stopping & bleeding. After 2 months on the 100 x12 days both months I began bleeding around days 9 & 10 of Utrogestan so i stopped taking them since I was having a bleed anyway. I decided 100 wasn't enough to stop the bleed and increased it back to 200 this month still taken vaginally and I've only got to day 9 and I'm bleeding again  :(. The 200 x 12 worked perfectly for the first 3 months so I cannot understand why it is not now. Any ideas what I should do or will it be enough to take 200 x 9 each month vaginally? I'm totally fine when not on the Utrogestan phase, no breakthrough bleeding or spotting, it's just when I take the Utro that I'm bleeding early  :-\ Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hurdity

Re: Please need advice on Utrogestan and bleeding before end of the course.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »

Hi Goosieloosie - looks like you are an early bleeder! It may well be that if you are still peri-menopausal ( sorry can't remember all your details although I know we've chatted on here!) but it could be your cycle breaking through or if your periods were heavy before starting HRT, the lighter dose of utrogestan may as you say be insufficient to prevent bleeding and override your natural cycle. I would continue with the 200 mg and keep to a 28 day cycle - otherwise your cycle will get shorter and shorter surely if you start Day 1 as your bleed each time on Day 9 of the prog?? I can see it's difficult to do the utro vaginally if you are bleeding. Not sure what the consultants recommend in this case as it must be fairly common. If you are post-meno then you may well be fine on 9 days of 200 mg vaginally - but from what I understand it is the dose and duration that ensures that all the lining is converted into "secretory" so that it can be shed (in other words you couldn't just take all the prog on one day and expect it to work!).  It has never happened to me (bleeding on Utro) so can't help - sorry - as I was post-meno when I started Utrogestan. Hopefully someone else will come along soon....

Hurdity x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:58 PM »

Hi Hurdity, I'm 2 years post menopausal and take the Utro on day 1 of every month (the 1st of every month) regardless of the length of the bleed or when it began. The bleed is quite light at the moment but it will get heavier a day or so after i stop the utro and yes it is difficult taking it when I'm bleeding  ::) particularly as I prefer to use Tampons!! I'm concerned this will just soak the Utro up!! I really don't know what to do, do you think if I could manage 200 x 10 days each month that would be enough?? Many thanks
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 07:41:28 PM by Goosieloosie »

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »

Hi again

It's impossible to say for we all absorb the oestrogen and prog slightly differently. Provided you have no problems with your uterus eg fibroids or polyps then  200 mg x 10 days should be enough especially if only vaginally and you're only on a 50 mcg as I am (well mine is now 62.5 as I increased because of also taking testosterone!).

My bleeds have always been medium ( post-menopausally) - eg a couple of heavier days - but nowhere near how heavy they were when fertile, and trickling on for about 6 days. I am on a longer cycle though - around 6 - 8 weeks but usually do the 200 mg x 12 days. I have had several scans for one reason or another so I know this is OK for me.

As your GP doesn't seem to be on the ball then after a year or so, you could perhaps say you are worried about your womb lining (due to bleeding early if you still are) and see if you can be referred for a scan.

Hurdity x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:03:54 PM »

Ok thank you, it's a shame as I've just had my HRT review a few weeks ago and I could've asked then about having a scan as it will be a year in Oct since I first began HRT (though not Utrogestan).