Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.  (Read 31046 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »

We get fed too much should we/not hype.  Yesterday it was statins are good for us, well not according to those who have suffered horrendous side effects  >:(!

Medication can be Trial and Error which is SO tiring  :-\

Carol04

Re: Anxiety: say if you have it, despite taking HRT or anti-anxiety medications.
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »

Hi I'm new to the forum and so pleased I joined as I'm suffering from anxiety and panic attacks which are worse in the mornings but reading the messages is already helping as I feel no longer alone.

My last period was 14 months ago and as the hot flushes have ceased the anxiety and headaches have increased. I've tried hrt but didn't help. C b T helped a little.

How are people managing to work as I've had to take time off work due to the panic attacks?

Thanks

CLKD

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2016, 09:38:14 PM »

:welcomemm:  there are plenty of meds that can be prescribed to ease anxiety attacks.  I have a beta-blocka at night plus an emergency drug 'in case'.  I have found deep breathing as well as walking helpful.

Are you hydrated enough Carol? as headaches can occur when the body requires liquids.

Annie0710

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2016, 12:54:41 AM »

Mine isn't generalised anxiety so work is ok, mines more in social gatherings although this evening I've just managed 7pm-1.30am at my nieces with my daughter and been ok (my moments can happen even with family!)

Strange thing is before arriving at my nieces my daughter said she thinks she has mild anxiety and whilst the 3 of us were chatting mid evening my niece said she's struggling in large groups!

3 different people, 3 different types of anxiety

Annie x

Meg

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2016, 01:53:29 AM »

Thank goodness we can be open about this anxiety problem which is so prevalent with women and pretty clearly provoked by hormones.  To go from being a coping, happy woman without the panic and anxiety to one who suffers is incredibly difficult and very unfair.  Women are often unable to enjoy life and earn a living.  Let's keep hoping that something more can be done to help us with this.  Just having the forum at least lets others know that they aren't alone. Thank you for your input CLKD.  I dont know how well the beta-blockers work for others, I asked for them but they aren't terribly effective for me, unfortunately, (40mg) but better than nothing. I do find that walking is one way to get the adrenaline down and in fact have felt impelled to walk the panic off so hope that my legs dont fail me in future!

Meg

kpatton56

« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2016, 06:57:23 AM »

I agree re the walking. If I get out for a 20 minute walk at the start of the day it makes a real difference.
Re beta blockers. I was given the 80mg slow release propranolol for essential tremor which I take in the morning and as a welcome bonus it has dampened my anxiety levels.
Work wise I have found that prioritising and having a definite plan for each day where possible helps. Getting lots of sleep and not taking on too much outside work also help. I also pray a lot as my faith is central to my life.
Writing this has reminded me how important that walk is so I am away for one now!! 😀

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »

I take 20mg night/morning of BB.  It was prescribed to dampen anxiety surges. Years ago  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »

Hello ladies.

For the benefit of newer members I just wanted to quote my trusty menopause book, written by a doctor and stating how common these problems are.
' Women describe sensations such as trembling, fluttering, unease and discomfort. More severe feelings of anxiety and panic can arise with little provocation. Tasks that you used to be able to tackle can leave you in total disarray. Mood swings from elation to despondency are common.' She also mentions anxiety and low self-esteem, depressed mood, feelings of pessimism and of course tearfulness and palpitations!

I think it's worth remembering the above when anyone tries to tell you that the menopause does not cause emotional problems. Her preferred treatment for these symptoms is HRT.

Honestly ladies is it any wonder that we feel overwhelmed by it all and want to hide away sometimes. I recall my husband asking me once why I declined to go to an event that I usually enjoy and I had to tell him that yes, I wanted to go but I didn't want to be there feeling awful!

Wishing you all well ladies and here's to calmer times.

K.

puddlesmum

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:54 PM »

Please don't laugh at this but I have just discovered something that helps.

My husband downloaded a TV programme for me (BBC) called 'All aboard'.  It's a two hour bus journey through the Yorkshire Dales.

Go on laugh if you want too. ;D

The point is that watching it really calmed me, to an extent I have never experienced before.

The download expires at the end of the month so I have just bought it from the BBC Store, along with a canal journey one. 

I have no idea why it works but if it stops me taking a pill I'm chuffed.

Wish they'd make others. I can remember when I was a teen going through puberty me and my friend (she had depression but I just had anxiety) decided to hop on a London bus and go the whole way to the end to see where it ended. It was all round Central London - one of the best things I ever did. I loved it.  Would love to see that on there. 

When I was stressed out about moving 10 years ago, I used to pop on I think it was a food website as it had nature sounds as the background music, and I'd leave that on while everyone in the house was out. Made me feel so relaxed.

Just watching the Yorkshire Dales one now while hubby is out. I'm more into buses going through towns rather than the countryside though.

Something else that used to calm me down was when my Mum had a 4x4 - riding in that and being higher than everyone else, gave me a real sense of calm. Bit like sitting on the top section of the bus.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:46:24 PM by puddlesmum »

CLKD

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2016, 02:40:10 PM »

Now there is no-way I would travel by coach, bus or train  :-\ this morning I saw ladies waiting for a bus and immediately felt ill and anxious …….

walking the dog

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2016, 08:30:04 PM »

Hope I'm ok to do this
Here's a link to a,website I was given in my group skills for anxiety etc
Its mindfulness
Its free to download
Www.freemindfulness.org/download

I did the fist one earlier and felt totally relaxed hope it helps some of you xx

Mardy

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »

Many thanks for this thread. And thanks to Walking The Dog for the link to the mindfulness.

I'm at least 3 years period free & since Xmas have lost two stone, wake up very early in a panic & sweaty & can't get back to sleep. I thrash about trying to get cool, comfortable & calm, but to no avail.

Doc poo poohed me when I suggested hormones as she said too long since last period - if it had been say 3 months she said it could be. Male doc said it could be hormones but wouldn't recommend HRT because of risk.

I've been prescribed 50mg Sertraline which I've just started taking very recently & am feeling panicky, strung out, sore throat & low energy - all side effects. Early days yet.

I've had to stop taking St John's Wort which I felt was helping me with depression & I seem to have slumped since then.

Mardy

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »

Hi Menomale - I didn't really get hot flushes at all - only a few occasionally when I was peri-menopause. I haven't had a period for at least three years, so that's why she poo poohed me I think.

I was told to stop the St John's Wort as it will not be good to take it at the same time as the Sertraline.

So far the Sertraline isn't helping, infact I think it's not at all, but it's too early to say I suppose - not even a week.

Justjules

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »

Mardy, don't expect much from the Sertraline for at least a month to be honest - you're not going to feel any better in a week that's for sure unfortunately.  It takes a good few weeks for the chemicals to alter your brain chemisty.  The side affects can be nasty but others don't experience them at all but if you have any problems, I would suggest you start with 25mg and work up to the 50mg as 50mg is a bit rough to start with.  My GP said it was better to start low but that's just mine.  I always take a lower dose at first as I'm a bit of a tablet phobe and usually get every side affect going.  Good luck. x

Mardy

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2016, 02:09:31 PM »

Menomale - Wake up very early & am very hot & sweaty in bed & throughout the day - my thermostat has gone wonky.My moods are all over the place.

Justjules - I think I should have had a lower dose to start with as I feel pretty awful - really panned out.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7