Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Results of blood test for hormone levels - very confused!  (Read 7653 times)

Babsm67

Results of blood test for hormone levels - very confused!
« on: August 22, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »

Hi, I have just got my results from the dr's & my FSH level was 18.2 but my oestradiol level was 73!  I was told I was 'borderline' & need to speak to the GP (have appointment tomorrow).  I am 49 & have been having various symptoms for nearly 3 years although the periods are still coming every month albeit with a longer cycle now and very heavy on day 2 (it was shorter for three years until a few months ago).  I think they said LH was 4.5.  Am I right in thinking that my oestradiol level is very low?  I was tested on day 2 of my cycle (my GP told me that day 2 is the best time to have the blood test).   I am confused by this as, from what I have read on here, my FSH level isn't very high! 

Any advice will be much appreciated!  Thanks X

dahliagirl

Re: Results of blood test for hormone levels - very confused!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »

From the Daisy Network, levels should be around 10 for normal function.  Over 30 means you have reached menopause.  So 20 means ovaries are in the process of shutting down - which you know from your symptoms.  Not sure about oetrogen levels but they do not seem high to me.

Rose B

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »

Hi
I had my oestradiol level tested recently and have the reference ranges from my printed results to hand.  Thought it might help, though it can vary by different labs.
                             LH                                  FSH                             Oestradiol
Follicular phase         2.4-13                            3.5-13                           98-571
Ovulation phase        14 - 96                            4.7-22                          177-1153 
Luteal phase             1-11                               1.7-7.7                         122-1094
Post menopausal       7.7-59                             26-135                          <183       

Maybe ask your GP what the normal range is for your lab? 

Good luck!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »

Also hormone levels vary wildy day to day in peri menopause. I was told at age 39 that I was almost post meno when in fact it was another 11 years before I became post meno :o 
So you can have as I did one blood test that tells one thing then a week later have a perfectly normal one!

Babsm67

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »

Hi, thanks, all of you for that information - now that I actually have borderline blood test results in writing, I can hopefully get the right dosage of hrt to improve these horrible symptoms.
 Back in January, 2014 when I started to feel very depressed & other symptoms were rearing their ugly heads, my blood test came back 'normal' even though I felt anything but normal!   I never asked for the figures at the time & I did not know that there was a particular time in the cycle to get the most accurate results.
Countrybumpkin -  When I was around 40, I had a 'borderline' result but I wasn't told about it at the time - I found out about it later on when I discussed the symptoms I had started to get in 2013/2014 so that definitely ties in with what you have told me (at the time, I was told it was 'normal'!).  Hormone fluctuations!  >:(
  The gynaecologist I saw last September about my heavy bleeding said my symptoms were perimenopausal but I did not know what my actual hormone levels were.  Thanks to the ladies on here, I know now to ask for the numbers because I didn't do that in the past.
RoseB & Dahliagirl -  I thought 73 sounded a bit low for oestrogen levels - those lab references tell me all I need to know!
 :thankyou:  X