Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aching legs  (Read 16766 times)

Bev1

Aching legs
« on: August 20, 2016, 04:13:48 AM »

Hi just wondered if anyone suffered from aching legs . I have been away for a few days and have been walking around a lot but by the middle of the day the bottom half of my legs ache and feel very uncomfortsble , it really spoils things as no one else seems to suffer as bad

Cecelia

Re: Aching legs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »

I've been suffering quite badly for 18 months now. I began to notice how stiff my feet where when I got out of bed, this eased off once I'd walked to bathroom and back. I made no connection to menopause until reading posts on mm. I just assumed it would improve with rest but unfortunately it's just getting worse and now moving to my hips and lower back. It's like having flu from the waist down, this gets far worse if I'm on my feet all day - if I go into town for a couple of hours I certainty know about it and need to resort to pain killers. Another thing I've noticed is when I settle down on a night then attempt to get out of my chair I feel about 90!

Have you had a vitamin D blood test? A low vitamin D can cause severe bone ache.

Cecelia x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 07:46:35 AM »

There have been investigations into why so many women experience joint pain in peri/meno and it seems to be medically unclear. There seems to be a scientific belief though that oestrogen plays a role in preventing joint inflammation thus as levels drop, inflammation can increase.

I had really noticed achy joints, in feet, back, hips but particularly in my hands and fingers and did some research online about arthritis etc. Some US studies threw up a number of minerals that helped and I decided to buy a joint and bone supplement that includes Glucosamine and Chonroitin, Vit D3 and a host of other essential minerals involved in the process of bone and joint health. I've been taking it for about 5/6 months now and there has most definitely been a massive improvement and I am someone who has never taken supplements before, a sceptic who doesn't think them necessary if you eat well.

Interestingly, my husband was found to be lacking in Vit D and was prescribed a high dosage by GP. This helped his IBS, so much so, that when he ran out of it about two months ago he started taking my joint supplement instead. He has noticed a definite improvement in his joint pain too, this coming from a man who was ridiculing me for being drawn into the "Vitamin Scam".

I'm not a medic, will only speak as I find and it may be a coincidence but give it try, see if it helps. A few extra vits and minerals aren't going to harm us at this stage in our lives with everything in flux! Not unless you over dose to an extreme of course!

Annie0710

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 11:17:07 AM »

Yes and bad muscle weakness, in all limbs

Annie X

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:20:53 PM »

Yes I was going to say as Megamind - could be a simple explanation Bev1. If you have been doing a lot of walking (on holiday)  and are not acclimatised to it, then that is the most likely reason for your aching legs. Remember the first few days of school games after the summer holidays? After hockey I was always aching until I got used to it again. It could just well be normal muscle ache after exercise with nothing needed to be taken ( ie supplements etc).

When I stop my exercise classes (eg now over the summer) or even miss a couple of weeks - I always ache whichever muscles have been used - for the next few days.

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »

I have suffered from joint pain and stiffness throughout my life and I think it is definitely hormonal.  It was at its worst during my teens, eased in my twenties and early 30s and became more severe in my mid-30s when I started to get peri symptoms.  And it always flares up extra-painfully in the 24 hours before I start bleeding and for the first 24 hours of the period.

Elizabethrose, it's really interesting to hear how the supplement helped you - I might have to try one.  I find it really slows me down as I have to allow half an hour to unstiffen in the mornings - up to an hour on bad days - and I'm used to getting up and charging around straight away.  And if I sit down for too long in the evening, I have the same problem, so I'm trying to tidy things up and get ready for bed at half my usual speed! 

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:47:48 PM »

I've been suffering quite badly for 18 months now. I began to notice how stiff my feet where when I got out of bed, this eased off once I'd walked to bathroom and back. I made no connection to menopause until reading posts on mm. I just assumed it would improve with rest but unfortunately it's just getting worse and now moving to my hips and lower back. It's like having flu from the waist down, this gets far worse if I'm on my feet all day - if I go into town for a couple of hours I certainty know about it and need to resort to pain killers. Another thing I've noticed is when I settle down on a night then attempt to get out of my chair I feel about 90!

Have you had a vitamin D blood test? A low vitamin D can cause severe bone ache.

Cecelia x

I have exactly the same. It first started with calf ache at the same time as my periods were reducing in frequency and getting lighter. it progressed to my feet and, like your experience, it is at its worst first thing in the morning. I also hobble to the bathroom. Once I am up and about, it is much better. I recently had a blood test for Vit D but haven't seen the result yet. I also think it may be thyroid related.

flutterby

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »

6 months ago I cut down the oestrogen from 50mcg to 25 mcg. The aching in my legs, feet and hands has got steadily worse. Tiredness as well and stiffness when I sit but eases when I start to walk around, but thankfully no real hot flushes. Has any used 5 HTP or Co enzyme Q for these symptoms. Flutterby x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 09:40:57 PM »

Oh growing pains! and later when my periods were more regular, intense aches in the thighs. 

I have restless leg syndrome and find that eating several bananas daily cured it.  As does Nurofen on the nights it is problematic.  Also elevating the legs above my hips eases the drawing sensations.

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 11:24:28 AM »

Seems to be a very common symptom.  A friend of mine has very painful hands and feet at the moment, she's peri too!

S x

I only started getting this as my periods were coming to an end. i never had it when they were full and regular. It has got worse since menopause 2.5 years ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

A drop in oestrogen can cause laxity of muscles and all that might entail.

elainediva

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 06:06:44 PM »

i have had foot/ankle pain for the past 4 weeks, didnt know it was connected
to menopause its worse in the morning when i get up, i have to be careful going down the stairs
its a bit achy during the day but better if im off my feet
i used to walk 35/45 miles a week but since this i have to catch the bus both ways  and just walk a little in town
last blood test i had my vitD level was ok

Suzi Q

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »

I never really connected the aches in my feet they were really bad but as poster said
After a bit in the morning it eased off. Last year my feet burned thats all i can describe it
I got fed up as i walk everywhere i dont drive and buses are sporadic
So i got a foot spa cut my nails short went to a mall for a month trying out different shoes
I found Merrils American really expensive.  I went online to usa
There what many shoe shops do is the shoes people try on the put online so they are sort of worn in no breaking in needed i bought iver 3 months 8 pairs 25 pounds each
Not only did my feet stop burning but the ache you described ease off tremendously.
Walking in good solid shoes with BACKS or soft well suported joggers GOOD ONES
NOT MARKET jobs.  Better to get 2 really good pairs than 12 cheapies.
I also found if i cut out salt 100% on the table or in cooking that helped
I dont buy salt free it tastes yuk but i dont cook or have it out to use
I did get a foot massage i hated it my feet felt bruised for a week.
Also i restarted my chiropractic treatment for my back he did my feet that was great
Wish you well chin up xxxx

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 04:19:16 PM »

I never really connected the aches in my feet they were really bad but as poster said
After a bit in the morning it eased off. Last year my feet burned thats all i can describe it
I got fed up as i walk everywhere i dont drive and buses are sporadic
So i got a foot spa cut my nails short went to a mall for a month trying out different shoes
I found Merrils American really expensive.  I went online to usa
There what many shoe shops do is the shoes people try on the put online so they are sort of worn in no breaking in needed i bought iver 3 months 8 pairs 25 pounds each
Not only did my feet stop burning but the ache you described ease off tremendously.
Walking in good solid shoes with BACKS or soft well suported joggers GOOD ONES
NOT MARKET jobs.  Better to get 2 really good pairs than 12 cheapies.
I also found if i cut out salt 100% on the table or in cooking that helped
I dont buy salt free it tastes yuk but i dont cook or have it out to use
I did get a foot massage i hated it my feet felt bruised for a week.
Also i restarted my chiropractic treatment for my back he did my feet that was great
Wish you well chin up xxxx

I agree that quality shoes are important but I would never buy shoes online because the sizes are so inconsistent. It doesn't help that I usually take a 7.5 (wide fitting) or 8 standard fitting so the range available is more limited.
I use very little salt in cooking.

Dorothy

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 09:13:06 PM »

I'd never order online if I hadn't tried them before, but I've found a couple of brands that are consistently ok for me, so am happy ordering them online. 
Pages: [1] 2