Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Spotting after hysterectomy  (Read 2879 times)

Ju Ju

Spotting after hysterectomy
« on: August 16, 2016, 10:15:08 AM »

I've had some minor spotting/ pinkness on toilet paper and a dull, period type ache. I had my hysterectomy nearly 9 months ago. I have had VA, which seems to be addressed by localised oestrogen, along with HRT. I thought I had better check it out with the doctor, but am unable to get an appointment until next month, though the receptionist advised me to try for an emergency appointment on Thursday if I didn't want to wait that long. Seems a bit over the top to take an emergency appointment. Should I be concerned?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Spotting after hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »

Maybe send Taz a PM, she's had a hysterectomy.  It may be that you are dry higher up which could cause spotting .  Could it be muscles beginning to 'work' after surgery? 

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I'll pm Taz. She was very helpful following my hysterectomy. I was given a load of info when I was discharged, but bleeding was only mentioned in the short term, not so long after.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:55:06 PM »

I had some discharge about 3 months or so after my hysterectomy. I got it checked out. Nothing major, GP cauterised problem area & I was fine afterwards.  Think I also got ABs but not sure, too long ago to remember now.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 07:13:45 AM »

It seems to have stopped, along with the mild discomfort. I wonder whether to ignore it. Had I still got a womb, I would have had it checked out regardless.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »

Hi Ju Ju

I missed this as it was in Other Health and I hardly ever look here!!!

Did you have a total hysterectomy or did you keep your cervix? If the latter then sometimes there are bits of endometrium left with this so if HRT is given then it can thicken as well. There is some information on here which suggests that to check this out a progestogen should be given for the first 3 months and if there is a bleed then it means a bit of womb lining is left on the cervix. If no progestogen given then presumably theoretically it would be like unopposed oestrogen and could come away spontaneously. here is the info: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php (scroll down):

Sub-total hysterectomy

If the main part of the uterus has been removed but the cervix retained, it is currently uncertain whether HRT can be given in the form of estrogen only or estrogen combined with progestogen. The slight concern of using estrogen only, is that there may be some of the cells of the lining of the uterus in the cervical canal which could become thickened from the estrogen. This thickening can be prevented by adding in progestogen. To find out if progestogen is required, it may be suggested to use estrogen combined with cyclical progestogen for 3 months after your operation. If there is monthly bleeding in this time, it means that cells are present which are responding to the hormones so estrogen and progestogen should be used thereafter. (These hormones can however be given together continuously to avoid monthly bleeding). If there is no bleeding in the first 3 months, then estrogen can be given on its own thereafter.

Not sure what might cause bleeding if no cervix?

I am sure nothing serious is going to happen before September but you could ask for emergency appointment in any case because you would not expect bleeding after hysterectomy, and if you are treating VA. Sometime bleeding after sex can be due to cervical ectropion - for those with a cervix of course (this happened to me).

Hurdity x