Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Missed one pill...  (Read 1859 times)

Dorothy

Missed one pill...
« on: August 14, 2016, 02:56:19 PM »

Anyone else on birth control pill for early menopause?  Every so often, I forget to take one pill (happening more often since they changed the pack design as I find it more complicated to see whether I've taken today's pill or not).  Even if I take it the next morning and take the others at the right time, I get all my meno symptoms back and start bleeding four days later (which is the time it takes for my bleed to start after ending a pack)

Is it normal for one missed pill to have such a big effect?  I'm not using it for birth control, but I am wondering if it will have any impact on my health. 

dahliagirl

Re: Missed one pill...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »

I was on the pill until 49 and found that it became more important to take it at pretty much the same time each day as I got older.  The fall out from not doing it seemed to be mainly chin hairs and spots and feeling rough and headachy.

I used to get bad oestrogen withdrawal headaches on my week off, if I got in the least bit thirsty.

I didn't get any obvious meno symptoms from not taking the odd one though.  I had more general meno symptoms that got significantly worse in the last 4 years.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 03:13:16 PM »

Interesting you thought it affected the chin hair as I have been sprouting a beard recently!!!  I take mine at bedtime, which varies hugely as caring for my mum means my schedule has to fit round hers, so sometimes I might be taking it at 9 and sometimes at 12 or 1.  I have noticed if I am very late taking it I get headachy and also have mild cramp, but I have always put that down to feeling rough from an extra-late night.  Maybe I should start setting an alarm so I can take it at the same time even if I haven't gone to bed!  It's really annoying to feel so rough when I am actually taking it as being on the break is bad enough!!!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »

Have you thought of Qlaira Dorothy? It only has 2 pill free days I think, but the oestrogen dose varies between 1 mg and 3 mg. Some progestogens are more androgenic - ie masculine side effects eg becoming more hairy - so maybe the one you are on is one of those?

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 07:32:59 AM »

I'd still have to remember to take them though!   ;)

I did wonder about Qlaira, but I've been a bit twitchy about making any changes in case I end up worse off.  I'm on Ovranette now.  Chin hair has definitely got worse in the last couple of years, so it can't just be due to the pill or I would have had my beard for longer.  Not too bothered...I look like a cross between a beached whale and a giant prune anyway, so having a face like a gooseberry is just one more thing to add to the oh-so-attractive mix that comes with the menopause  ;D