Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Waiting for biopsy results  (Read 7081 times)

Mojo61

Waiting for biopsy results
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »

Well yesterday I had my endometrial biopsy, now I just have to wait for the results. I wasn't expecting to have the biopsy done there and then as the receptionist had phoned me the day before to ask if I could come in 15 minutes earlier as the consultant needed to get off to a meeting and I said that was fine, and by the way, would I be getting any tests or procedures done on my first visit? She said no, it was just a consultation and if the doctor thought I needed any tests then an appointment would be made for a later date.

So when he said he would do the biopsy straight away I was a bit taken aback and told him I wasn't expecting this. He said it was up to me, he could either do it now or make an appointment to come back in 2-3 weeks as a day surgery patient and have it done under general anaesthetic. I thought about it and decided to just go for it otherwise I would be spending the next 2-3 weeks worrying about it. The biopsy itself wasn't too bad (I'd heard horror stories) and he also removed a small polyp at the same time. It was a bit uncomfortable but not agonising and I'm glad I didn't chicken out and opt for a later date.

He said there is a 5% chance that it could be cancer, but in 95% of cases the results come back normal.

Keep everything crossed for me folks!

Hurdity

Re: Waiting for biopsy results
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »

Well done Mojo61 - good to get it over with - and keeping fingers crossed for the outcome :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 05:36:44 PM »

Thanks for the up-date!

:foryou: and remember: "95% of cases come back normal"  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »

Well done Mojo.

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:28:41 PM »

Sounds very like my experience! Well done! And for me, I was given the all clear.

Mojo61

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »

Thank you everyone. I asked how long for the results and he said 2-3 weeks so I'm trying to remain calm.

He also said that if it was cancer it is the type that can usually be treated successfully with a hysterectomy.

linz57

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 06:40:15 PM »

Well done you for getting it over and done with Mojo61. It is a worrying time waiting for results , I kept myself really busy while waiting for mine and it did help a little. Fingers crossed all will be OK for you.

Mojo61

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »

Thank you. I didn't really want to have a GA, to me it is a waste of NHS resources for something that can be over and done with in 30 seconds. I'm not going to say it was pain free, but the nurse was lovely and held my hand and the doctor was making jokes as he carried out the procedure so it took my mind off what was happening really. I would say it was no worse than having a coil fitted, that was more painful if I remember rightly.

He also said that if everything came back fine then perhaps the mirena coil and separate oestrogen patches/tablets would be the way forward.

Mojo61

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »

Great news - got my results in the post today for my cervical polyp and endometrial biopsies and they were both normal! I'm so pleased, but I still need to follow this up because I continue to bleed constantly and I'm getting fed up with it.

I believe the plan now is to fit the mirena coil and then have separate oestrogen either via patch or tablet. Any advice please? I still feel very sick especially in the morning, anxiety getting a bit better but that could be the fact I've been on citalopram for 5 months, and I feel jittery a lot of the time. Sleep is hit and miss, the only thing that's gone completely are the night sweats.

dazned

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 02:21:18 PM »

Great news on your results  :)

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »

Mojo61, that is great news!  I would suggest using Oestrogel with the Mirena because it is flexible and you can easily adjust the dose.  I used patches with the Mirena but it didn't work well at all because I could never get enough oestrogen out of them despite going up to the 100mcg dose.

If you feel sick then I would definitely avoid oral oestrogen.

Although most of the progesterone is confined to the womb with the Mirena, enough of it will get into your overall system and you don't want the progesterone to become too dominant so you might need to take more oestrogen to counter the effects - this is why it is good to have maximum flexibility. 

I wish I had tried Oestrogel with the Mirena but I would not want to risk it now because of migraines.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 02:57:25 PM »

I had a Mirena fitted and used Estradot patch to start with but switched to oestrogel a couple of weeks ago.
Great to hear your results were good.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »

So pleased that your results are FINE!   :bounce:

Has your GP given you something to stop the constant bleeding?  (Sorry can't remember the name  ::) )

Mojo61

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 06:28:36 AM »

No, nothing.

I tried to book an appointment yesterday to see the doctor but there were none until the middle of October. I said what am I supposed to do then, and the receptionist said if you are here for 8am tomorrow morning you can get an emergency appointment for that day. I said but it's not an emergency and she said well in that case you will have to wait until October, so I guess I will just have to put up with it until I get back from my holiday at the end of October.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 08:03:54 AM »

Sounds like my doctors, weeks to wait unless an emergency.
Does yours offer telephone appointments?
Mind you even those are becoming harder to get at our practice!
Pages: [1] 2