Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New member struggling!  (Read 1679 times)

Carol99

New member struggling!
« on: August 07, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »

Hi everyone, menopause started for me about 3 months ago, I'm 47 and had a mirena coil fitted 2 years ago so haven't had a period for 18 months. Now having awful flushes, very poor sleep, feel like something has climbed in my brain and turned it to mush!!! Really struggling as I have lost my confidence. Never bothered about my age but this is really affecting me.
Seen my go, she has started fluoxetine to see if this will help, has said I can have HRT if this isn't helpful.
Lack of sleep is really bothering me any advice would be appreciated. :

Hurdity

Re: New member struggling!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 07:06:04 PM »

Hi Carol99

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about your problems! Also that your doc has prescribed fluoxetine. She should not be prescribing this for menopausal symptoms - it is contrary to the new guidelines. if you haven't started this then i would suggest don't!

HRT should be used in the first instance for menopausal symptoms and especially if you have hot flushes. The difficulty with Mirena coil is, as you know you can't tell from your periods where you are in menopause - since it will stop periods often well before they would stop naturally.  The fact you are suffering flushes though does suggest your oestrogen has declined so they would probably be irregular if you didn't have the Mirena.. I am not sure if blood tests will show anything if you have a Mirena but it might be worth asking your doctor to test for peri-menopause now if she doesn't think you are menopausal? She should be suggesting the HRT before ADs!

Please go back to your doc and ask for some oestrogen irrespective of whether she thinks a blood tests is advisable or not. The great thing about the Mirena is that  provided it has not been in for more than 4 years then it can be used as the progestogen part of HRT so all you need is oestrogen - which can be taken as patch, pill or gel - whichever your preference. All the different types are listed here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:30:56 PM »

Welcome to MM,

I'm not sure why your GP has prescribed an AD, HRT is supposed to be the first line of treatment for the menopause and this was stated in the new guidelines.

From my experience, a Mirena coil with low oestrogen levels is a bad idea and it caused me all sorts of problems.  If I were you, I would go back to your doctor immediately and ask for a prescription of Oestrogel.  I think this combination would work extremely well and the beauty of the gel is that you simply rub it onto your skin and you can easily adjust the dose up or down to suit your needs.

It's definitely worth a try!

Suzi Q

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »

Welcome as the song says Your not alone
Weve all been there or are there xxxxxx