Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What kind of house would you build?  (Read 4042 times)

bramble

What kind of house would you build?
« on: August 07, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »

I have just spent a very wet afternoon thinking about the type of house I would build if I found a plot of land locally. It would have to be:
a flat bit of ground.
2 bedrooms and a study(with built in shelves and alcoves)
main bedroom to have an en-suite bathroom with bath.A drying cabinet if big enough.
Walk in wardrobe
Other bathroom to have shower cubicle, toilet etc
a larder in the kitchen (less kitchen cupboards needed)
a utility room for the cat litter trays
open plan kitchen, dining, living room
a generous wide hall with skylight and a cupboard for coats. And a cupboard for hoover and cat baskets.
a bungalow (no stairs)
be able to drive as close to house door as possible (easier to get the shopping in)
built on garage
roofed verandah on back wall of house wide enough for table and chairs
gravel style garden out back (no grass)

What would you have?

littleminnie

Re: What kind of house would you build?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 06:56:44 PM »

Well that sounds like my ideal house too!
If money was no object I would like an indoor swimming pool too.
I would like it to be detached and not overlooked. 
I would like a lawn but be able to afford a gardener.

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:41:33 PM »

I'd settle for soundproofing DH!  ;D

My son has been in the wonderful position of having his house built to his and his wife's specifications. It's not on flat land, but they have a basement built into the slope. The house is light and airy, absolutely lovely, the stuff of dreams. My son loves it and very much appreciates his good fortune. If I could transport it here with a couple of tweaks......

What I do do in is redesign my bungalow when I can't sleep, making better use of the space, not having the bedrooms by the front door and so on.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »

I actually love our house as it's very quiet yet right in the middle of a large village. No traffic comes through our lane.    It is very warm and sunny as we have huge Windows and patio doors and its position means it gets lots of light and sun.  The garden is walled and completely private and we are not overlooked.

However, I always say if I win the lottery I will have an eco house built as I love all that. Very eco friendly, masses of light and in a nice position.  Wood and glass I think and I have always had a thing about a verandah with a couple of rocking chairs like you see in American films.

We have two horses and we keep them in a large field about 5 minutes walk away so another dream would be to have enough land on our Eco plot to keep the horses close to the house.

I

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:02:22 PM »

It's a bungalow for us.  We stayed in a very nicely arranged bungalow near Dornie 12 years ago, I would add another bedroom to that design with a covered swimming pool off - the pool room would have a long set of sliding doors opening onto an enclosed courtyard for sunbathing, with deep borders of lavender and roses.  I have drawn the plans in my head and on paper in the past.

There would be a large utility room with another enclosed courtyard for drying laundry, again with deep borders of lavender and rosemary. 

I haven't decided on how to heat it though …….. ground pump or a large burner for wood pellets. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 02:46:12 PM by CLKD »

Suzi Q

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 01:58:46 PM »

Im  love my house but id knock it down build it 3 stories so ive got a better view of the ocean

dulciana

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 02:20:32 PM »

One with a couple of spare bedrooms, for when our daughter visits, and other family members.
A small garden, to get us back into gardening after all this time in a flat.
A decent attic.
A kitchen big enough to have a breakfast table in, apart from the dining room
And one room would have to have a high enough ceiling to house a pipe organ (not a big one, mind.... ::))   No, hang on, a house and a pipe organ would probably cost the same amount......can't have both.    Apparently, someone in a very famous string quartet, ages ago, sold his house to buy a cello............no, I don't think I'd do that.............

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:26:27 PM »

Duliciana, if money was no object..........! Don't limit your dreams, cos they don't cost anything!

I've just added a self contained annexe to my dream home, so my son and his family don't have to squeeze into the spare room here!

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:08:45 PM »

;D

If I had to build a house the bedrooms would be on the ground floor, each 1 en-suite - next floor would be over-looking mountains or ocean ……… kitchen sink facing the view!

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 09:43:08 PM »

One level only. Large family dining kitchen with breakfast bar. Large lounge, 3 bedrooms all ensuite. Walk in wardrobes in all bedrooms with shoe storage racks which pull out. Separate dining room also, for entertaining.  ;D

Lounge would have patio doors which open on to large decked area, which had a roof. Of course it would also have to have stunning views of either the sea or mountains.

That reminds me, must buy a lottery ticket!  ;D ;D ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 08:11:26 AM »

Yes I'm good at spending the winnings of lottery tickets I never buy, in my dreams as well!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »

Does anyone think that a bath over-looking a view is a good idea?  Once I've laid down and started to doze, I wouldn't see the view anyway  ;D

Scampi

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »

Mine would be built on/into a hill - 2 storeys at the front and 3 at the rear.  Entry floor (ground at front, middle at rear) would have a large kitchen in the middle, open plan to a 'family room'.  There'd also be a separate lounge and dining room, food pantry, 'butler's pantry' (for storing occasional-use crockery and glassware, and cooking/baking accessories so they don't clutter the kitchen) and large utility room.  Full-height sliding glass doors across the back open on to a terrace over the pool room.  Top floor has bedrooms - 3 en-suite - and my own little sewing room/snug!  Bottom floor (built into the hill) is gym/sauna/pool suite, with the same type of sliding glass doors as the family room, leading to a paved patio area. 

It's all planned in my head - but if the lottery win was a HUGE one, the plans are much more ambitious and involve five houses, garage and entertainment block and a stone circle!!

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 04:12:59 PM »

What, no swimming pool  ;D

No doubt Himself would want a cycling arena and an archery range.  I already have a large utility room: large chest freezer, stood beside a larder fridge stood beside an upright fridge-freezer - there's a gap for a small cupboard on that side of the room, the oil burner is on the other wall and a length of shelves x 5 foot - plus two laundry machines …….. double that and I would be one happy bunny  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 03:24:25 PM »

Would anyone put a toilet in the main bathroom these days, I think that it's so unhygienic  :-\.  I would have a wet room with double shower heads and a warming towel rail; a separate loo with wash basin and urinal, with a warming towel rail; a bathroom with hand wash basin ..... never double wash basins, what's that about  >:( :D
Pages: [1] 2