Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Sorry, bowels!  (Read 4149 times)

Debbiemc

Sorry, bowels!
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:52:47 AM »

I have been peri for a year or so now, been on HRT (Elleste duet), for two months. For a while now, particularly since starting HRT, I have loose bowels. I've always been regular, but now I can go two or three times a day.  Sometimes I'm scared to even pass wind. I eat a fairly healthy diet, not too much bread or dairy, (as I thought this was the cause, no improvement since dropping from diet). Is this normal?
Thank you for your help.
 :)

Spangles

Re: Sorry, bowels!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 08:54:58 AM »

I'm exactly the same, I think it's IBS so I use buscopan and that seems to do the job.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »

Hi Debbiemc - the information leaflet says this

"Common: feeling down, feeling anxious, mood changes, changes in sex drive, feeling dizzy, difficulty sleeping, feeling sick, bloating, diarrhoea, indigestion, stomach cramps, acne, rashes, itchiness, dry skin, back pain, pain in the extremities, breast enlargement, heavy periods, vaginal discharge, break-through bleeding, spasms (contractions) of the womb, vaginal infection, excessive thickening of the lining of the womb, pain, feeling of weakness, swelling of the ankles, feet or fingers, increase in weight"

It could be that this HRT doesn't suit you bowel-wise but it may still settle down. Patches or gel are kinder on the stomach as they are not metabolised by the liver so this may be worth bearing in mind.

Anyone developing IBS symptoms for the first time over the age of 50 needs to mention it to the GP apparently. I use Buscopan prescribed by the doc and find it quite helpful on those mornings when it's proving difficult to get to work on time due to the need to get to the loo quickly and often!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 09:38:58 AM »

Yep, common - hormones probably!  B4 I began a period, even if one wasn't due, I would get 'the runs' so couldn't plan outings at that time of month  :-\.

We have a whole thread on bowels  ::) somewhere ……...

Evelyn63

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »

Buscopan is good for the spasms and settling my stomach but I need Imodium to actually stop the frequency !  Problem is I take two or on a bad day 3, then I have to deal with the constiaption for the next few days, though its preferable to being confined to the house in case Im caught short !

Debbiemc

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 04:59:12 PM »

Thank you for your replies, I'm still fairly new to all this, so any help is greatly appreciated. It seems like this menopause business causes so many problems. Bit rubbish really isn't it?

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 08:25:44 PM »

Can be rubbish  ::) ………. so browse round, ask away!

None of these medications should be taken as often as that Evelyn63! one needs to allow the bowel to get into a regular rhythm.  I have slow transit which causes distress so use Actimel drinks which eases things the next day.  I looked at the instructions for Immodium and decided that it was too complicated  ::)

Evelyn63

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 08:55:23 PM »

None of these medications should be taken as often as that Evelyn63! one needs to allow the bowel to get into a regular rhythm.  I have slow transit which causes distress so use Actimel drinks which eases things the next day.  I looked at the instructions for Immodium and decided that it was too complicated  ::)

I only take Imodium  if Im having a particularly bad day, and need to be somewhere, for instance this week I was going to a concert but had about three episodes of diarrhoea ,prior to leaving the house, so took some then so I could travel and attend the concert .  Could be another month before I need to take any more.  Normally if Im just around the house or somewhere I know well I just get on with it.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 10:25:20 PM »

The instructions for immodium when prescribed after an IBS diagnosis are "SYMPTOMATIC TREATMENT OF ACUTE EPISODES OF DIARRHOEA ASSOCIATED WITH IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME IN ADULTS AGED 18 YEARS AND OVER
Two capsules (4 mg) to be taken initially, followed by 1 capsule (2 mg) after every loose stool, or as previously advised by your doctor. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 6 capsules (12 mg" so I don't think that Evelyn is taking too much. IBS(D) can absolutely rule your life so anything that can help (after proper diagnosis of course) is so welcome. Not everyone's bowel will get into a regular rhythm unfortunately and we have to get to jobs or school or to support elderly relatives or, maybe, even manage to go out to meet friends.  You use  Actimel to help your bowel move so why not something to temporarily stop the bowel moving?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 10:57:22 AM »

Immodium supposedly works within the hour but I wouldn't trust that  ::) and how does it work 'within' the hour  :-\.  I know that when faced with a social situation my lower gut begins to churn = the need to dash which is awkward on the M1  >:(  ::) ……. or in Church at a Funeral as happened last year, I thought I was going to faint ……….. bowels, light headed, sweaty ……… awful  :'(.

Were the episodes a social anxiety trigger knowing that you would be in a 'trapped' situation?

Evelyn63

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 03:08:44 PM »

The instructions for immodium when prescribed after an IBS diagnosis are "SYMPTOMATIC TREATMENT OF ACUTE EPISODES OF DIARRHOEA ASSOCIATED WITH IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME IN ADULTS AGED 18 YEARS AND OVER
Two capsules (4 mg) to be taken initially, followed by 1 capsule (2 mg) after every loose stool, or as previously advised by your doctor. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 6 capsules (12 mg" so I don't think that Evelyn is taking too much. IBS(D) can absolutely rule your life so anything that can help (after proper diagnosis of course) is so welcome. Not everyone's bowel will get into a regular rhythm unfortunately and we have to get to jobs or school or to support elderly relatives or, maybe, even manage to go out to meet friends.  You use  Actimel to help your bowel move so why not something to temporarily stop the bowel moving?

Taz x

Thanks Taz, I am very sensible and they are taken only when I've no other option.  They enable me to lead a life that's almost normal.  My consultant prescribed Imodium in liquid form so I can titre it to suit but the instant ones are much handier when out and about. 

How kind of you to reply and thanks again.  It means a lot .x

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 06:44:18 PM »

That's ok Evelyn - bowels can rule us totally if we're not careful!!

Taz x  :)