Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Facial rash  (Read 7979 times)

Lovebug

Facial rash
« on: August 03, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »

Has anyone experienced a facial rash which is red and itchy due to pre .Docs says it's not due to premenopause but I looked it up and it said it could be. the rash is called rosacea acne never had this before it started a year ago
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:16:49 PM by Lovebug »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Facial rash
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:49:02 PM »

:welcomemm:

Probably.  Tell us more?  Are you taking medication ?  Have you altered your diet? 

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:39:02 PM »

Yep, I have been diagnosed with this. But unlike normal acne, it is not greasy, but sore. My GP said it was likely to be hormone related, not diet.

I first had a bout in my 40s, but it receded, but sadly has come back with a vengeance in my 60s. I'm afraid it hasn't responded to either AB cream or cortisone cream.

There are quite a few ladies who this problem here.

At the moment my nose is as red as Rudolf the reindeer's. Sadly, putting on foundation cream, including a recommended make, which would lessen the appearance of the redness, aggravates it. I wouldn't mind if I could cover it with makeup. I'm told it isn't that bad and people see me, not any blemishes. I know what they mean, as it doesn't worry me when others have blemishes etc, but it's different when it's your own face.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:31:43 PM »

Hi Ju Ju and Lovebug.

I developed lots of allergies and rosacea at the start of my peri and saw a consultant dermatologist. My rosacea is triggered by exposure to the sun and the only thing that worked treating it was Oxytetracycline. The med is a pain in the neck because you have to take it 2 hours before or after food but it does the trick every time I have a flare up.

I am usually able to catch it early as it appears in the same place, to the right of my lips, and starts to tingle and burn before it reddens and becomes scaley. If I don't treat it quickly it can spread fairly rapidly. Luckily the oxy gets rid of it entirely, though it usually takes a six week course. I'm not a big fan of taking ABs but it is the only thing that gets rid of it and I find I only then get an attack every 3 or 4 years.

My poor daughter suffered from hormonally driven acne which caused her much angst. In addition to a tetracycline she also used Duac and Differin creams. This seems to be a common problem for middle age women, pesky hormones!

I hope you both find something that works for you.

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »

It sounds like the AB that I was prescribed in my 40s. Unfortunately, it didn't help at all and caused a lot of digestive issues with IBS. What did help then was patience. I had 2 attacks, both lasting about a year. Unfortunately, what I am experiencing seems different. The areas affected are the end of my nose, just below my nostrils and mildly across my cheeks, apparently typical of Rosecea.  I can't risk ABs again, except for life threatening conditions. Fortunately, I can put suncream on without aggravating it. I suspect that the recent sunshine triggered this attack though. Patience and it might fade on its own in time.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »

I'm sorry to hear that Ju Ju, we're all so different aren't we. My husband has suffered with IBS in the past and if ever he had to take ABs he would load himself up with probiotics that a GP prescribed and eat tons of yoghurt. It usually helped but everyone is different!

I'm sorry I can't suggest anything else to help you, nothing else worked for me and loads was tried. I hope your flare up ends soon.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »

Wear a straw hat in the sunshine! 

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 09:57:42 AM »

I've developed this since being taken off HRT ( >:() and I'm finding it really difficult to deal with. The little blisters are very painful. I am unable to use the antibiotic cream due to allergy although the GP is trying to find something I can use. I know something I can use.... HRT!!

I feel for you Lovebug. I find it really embarrassing - especially where it affects the bridge of the nose - and even though I use the green concealer cream recommended by a very helpful lady in Boots it still breaks through. It's made worse, of course, by the hot flushes/sweats because my foundation has all "melted" away within an hour or so.

Trigger for mine definitely seem to be alcohol (although not always) and sunshine. I hate going out into the sun anyway being a winter loving person. I hope that you find something to help with yours soon.

Taz x

dangermouse

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »

I have it on both cheeks, it looks like acne but is very itchy and it flares up in the morning and seems to calm down by the end of the day. I've only had it since hormones became erratic so didn't even question it not being hormones, particularly as acne is a common hormone driven condition in puberty.

Mine looks bad but isn't itchy enough to need treatment so I just ignore it and my foundation makes it look a bit better during the day. I suspect the lotions etc. for teenagers might be the best way to go, although full on rosacea is more adrenal related and, until that calms down, only steroids would work which obviously isn't the way to go!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »

How about contacting a company that provides make-up lessons for people who have had burns or injury, there may be some products that are non-allergenic?

Wear a hat!  My Oncologist told me that I should wear a hat whilst undergoing radiation treatment and as often as possible after.  Now I have 4 which I am tarting up with brooches, not to be worn at the same time of course  ;) and the straw one blows away in the wind ………

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 09:06:41 AM »

The trouble for me is that if I put on foundation cream, which reduces the redness in appearance, actually seems to aggravate it and even cause a flare up. Even the foundation cream recommended for this condition. But I wonder whether it's the removal of the foundation cream. I'm am very, very careful how I clean my face and dry it. Suncream, fortunately, doesn't seem to be a problem, though I have to be careful what I use, but that's because of allergies. I never had a hint of acne when I was young. My daughter said I wasn't a proper teenager!  ;D My skin has always been very dry, with eczema. At least I am not as sensitive about how I look as I was as a child. But as others say, rosecea is itchy. And you can't scratch.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 09:41:09 AM »

Do you find that the skin over the rash is really dry too - almost like it's peeling? I hate that and working with young children they are hardly sensitive in their inquisitive comments!  I too had really good skin as a teenager and just assumed that it would always be that way.

Taz x

Elizabethrose

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 09:51:44 AM »

Ju Ju

My skin is desperately sensitive to skin care products and cosmetics but I've found that Vichy works well for me and is really soothing. I use Vichy Pureté Thermale, Lait baume démaquillant nourrissant (cleanser) and Vichy Pureté Thermale Lotion tonique perfectrice (toner) both are peau sensible (for sensitive skin). They remove foundation really gently but thoroughly and don't leave your skin feeling tight, sore and burning. You can buy it in the UK though much cheaper in France and I stock up when I'm travelling.

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »

Yes, Vichy is great and I have used it a lot. I don't have a problem with the actual cleanser if I haven't used foundation and my face doesn't feel irritated while wearing foundation, but the rosecea flares up after cleansing. Weird. Currently I am using Clinique redness solutions moisturisers and cleansing cream, which are recommended for rosecea or Epaderm cream, which can be used for cleansing and moisturising, which helps with dryness. I've learnt to treat my facial skin with far more respect than it ever got before. I'm very gentle now and gently pat my face dry, otherwise..... :(

Elizabethrose

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »

Oh it's such a bore. What is the foundation you are using?
Pages: [1] 2