Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil  (Read 2072 times)

Smokey

Mirena coil
« on: July 30, 2016, 05:11:41 PM »

Just an update on how I am with the Mirena coil fitted.

Wasn't to painful it was fitted on day three of my period, and I stopped bleeding complete the next day. Had a few cramps initially when fitted, I thought great something is actually working for me!

However I have had spotting on and off and now mostly constant light bleeding, with bad stomach pains, but it's early days so can put up with that.
I'm now on day 12 of bleeding and just when I think it's stopping it continues again.

The last week or so I have had really bad indigestion my doctor gas changed my pills from lans **** can remember  name now taking ranitidine twice daily I'm only on day one, first morning one worked ok, until 3pm when I started getting indigestion again, so I had a cup of tea and two0.7 low fat ginger biscuits with it, I could feel it starting before these and thought maybe I had too long gap since eating dinner 3 hours ago.
But maybe not as it's got worse and I have just taken my tea time dose an hour ago and I'm still in pain!

Has anybody else experienced this, when having their coil fitted?

Ann x

robotwars

Re: Mirena coil
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »

Hi! sorry but I cant answer your question but was curious about a couple of things and wondered whether you would be able to advise. I'm considering having this fitted but I have heard so many horror stories it has scared me off, my one concern was can your partner tell its in and notice it? also is the bleeding heavy or light?
Doctor has said this is an option with either a patch or gel for oestrogen but so nervous..

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 09:13:15 PM »

Hi robotwars

It was one of my concerns too, but my husband assures me he couldn't feel the strings and they are quite high up anyway, I did joke with him about not getting tangles up!! Basically he couldn't tell any difference before or after I had it fitted.

My bleeding at the moment is quite light, medium panty liner needed at the moment my most heaviest was three days and I would compare to a light period I didn't need the Change my towel very often and never bled through.

I would go for it, I didn't find it any worse than a smear, and spent months before worrying about it, when I needn't have.

Good luck !

Ann x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »

Smokey  - this bleeding etc is quite normal after having the Mirena fitted.  Bleeding and spotting will continue for at least a few weeks - probably intermittently, gradually becoming just spotting but it usually all stops within 3-6 months.  If you were having problems with bleeding anyway then it will take longer for things to settle.
Regarding the indigestion - you need to eat regularly and avoid tea and coffee. Low fat foods will aggravate indigestion as well. Drink Fennel or camomile tea.
Things should settle but it is early days yet.

Robotwars - I had the Mirena for 4 years in my 50s - my husband didn't notice it at all and it was the simplest way to have a no bleed HRT regime.  For me it took about 3-4 months for the spotting and occasional bleeding to stop - I was ver post meno by then..  Dg xxx

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »

I had my Mirena fitted 15 weeks ago and still have almost daily spotting.

I had stomach pains for the first couple of weeks but have had no indigestion problems.

Robotwars...I have had no problems with the strings. My bleeding has always been very light spotting , but I am one year post menopause.
I had mine fitted so that I could use the Estradot patch.

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 10:32:34 AM »

Thanks ladies

Ok I guess I'm just impatient! I knew I would probably get a lot of spotting etc with the coil, it's just that I've been told to excercise more by my Nuro exercise bike ok but I wanted to start swimming again so it's frustrating more than anything. Can you use a tampon with a coil?? I've never ever used one so that would be an experience in its self!! Perhaps I could put a panty liner in my costume, but knowing my luck it would just float out🤔

Tinkerbell I'm not sure if I have normal periods anymore but I'm hoping I don't  I guess I've got a way to go then if your at fifteen weeks with spotting.
I had mine fitted as part of my Hrt with oestrogel it's taken me forever to get it prescribed the doctor kept prescribing oestro for dryness down below with applicator got 20 boxes , but they maybe useful later if needed and they have got years of life on them. It took me months to get appt for coil to be fitted had to go to private hospital in the end but nhs did pay so that was lucky.

Ann x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 01:09:49 PM »

Smokey - it should be fine to use the tampon for swimming although I bet the bleeding and spotting will become far less over the next few weeks.  Lots of brisk walking is the best exercise for joints and fitness.
Patience is needed right now - things will get better.  DG x