Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Prof Studd's regime, suggestions needed  (Read 5499 times)

redgingham

Prof Studd's regime, suggestions needed
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:23:16 PM »

Hello

I'm new to the forum and very much hoping you may be able to offer some suggestions or advise.

I've been using HRT for about 5 years, I'm now 55. Recently I've not been feeling great and so decided to see Prof Studd for the first time two weeks ago. He prescribed 4 pumps of Oestrogel and also Testim to replace the HRT I had been taking, together with 10 days of progesterone each month starting on 1st August. A couple of days after changing to the new HRT I started to bleed and have been now been bleeding lightly for about 12 days. The good news is, apart from the bleeding, I feel much better!

So I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get the bleeding to stop. I have spoken to Prof Studd but he couldn't offer anything apart from saying that it's not the gel causing the bleeding.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

Nina

Re: Prof Studd's regime, suggestions needed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:38:37 PM »

If I was paying £300 I wouldn't be happy with that response!

All new regimes can cause upset and need time to settle. you need more time  :)

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 11:18:33 PM »

Hi Redgingham - welcome to the forum.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who has experience of the regime you are on. I agree with Nina that I would be unhappy with that response.

Which HRT were you using before? If you have just stopped using a conti HRT then the withdrawal of the progesterone can cause a bleed.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

redgingham

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:06:16 AM »

Thank you for your replies and welcome. Yes the after care isn't impressive is it?

I was using sequential HRT previously rather than conti so probably not the reason for this bleeding.

Maybe a bit more time to settle and it will resolve on it's own.

I'd welcome any more thoughts.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »

I would suggest that 4 pumps is very high and this nas caused the lining to overthicken thus causing it to spontaneously shed away. As others have said his reponse is not appropriate,he perscribed this so he should answer properly your concerns. Its really not acceptable especially after what you have paid. >:(

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »

Had you completed the month of the sequi and therefore had your normal monthly bleed before beginning the new regime?

Taz x

Trufflecat

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 03:21:38 PM »

I don't think k that just a couple of days into the oestrogel can have caused that much of a build up? I suspect that you need to give it a few months to settle. I agree that his lack of support very is inappropriate.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:23:33 PM »

Welcome to MM.  I agree that is not good service, I would ring his office again, run it past his secretary and then ask to speak to one of his nurses.  If you don't get anywhere, just keep trying.

What type of HRT were you taking before and when did you last take progesterone?  This would make a difference.  I note you said you are taking progetesterone for 10 days as opposed to his usual 7 day dose, does this mean you don't normally have any problems with the progesterone part of HRT?  If that is the case, you are very lucky!

I really wouldn't worry about the bleeding, it is common when starting a different type of HRT.  Four pumps of Oestrogel is a high dose and if you haven't taken any progesterone for a while, it would cause breakthrough bleeding.  However, once you start the progesterone at the beginning of August, the bleeding should settle down and your body will find a natural level and you will get into a routine with schedule bleeding and after a while, it usually becomes lighter. 

vickypk

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 04:01:13 PM »

Hi Redingham
I saw Prof Studd a couple of years ago.  I had a few problems with the regime he prescribed.  It was virtually impossible to get any advice from him when I first started HRT.  He would never reply.  Hope you are better soon xx

redgingham

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 09:09:07 PM »

Thank you for your thoughtful and helpful replies.

I last used Utrogestan around mid June and had a prolonged and heavy bleed for about 14 days until nearly the end of June. I started using the Oestrogel and Testim under Prof S direction about a week later so probably not time for a big lining build up to have happened.

What seems to be happening with my current bleeding is that it starts in the morning (when I am applying the gel) and seems to tail off by early afternoon only to restart the next morning.

Do you think splitting the gel into 2 applications, 12 hours apart, might help?

Or do you think I'm using too much gel and should try fewer pumps?

Or should I start the progesterone now rather than wait until 1st August?

Yours hopefully .........

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »

If you've paid for a consultation with Prof Studd then I would go by what he says unless you have lost confidence in him?

Taz x

Mary G

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 06:14:44 PM »

The stop start bleeding is quite common and I have that to some extent during a normal period but obviously this should not last for 12 days. 

You could try splitting the dose to 2 pumps every 12 hours, I do this to keep my levels up but I only use 1 pump every 12 hours.

I really would ring his office on Monday and insist on speaking to someone.  Tell his secretary you are very worried and desperately need to get some advice.  I am sure his nurse would be able to help, she is very knowledgeable. 

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »

I agree with the others - we are not medically qualified to comment in your specific case and you have paid a lot of money for expert treatment. Do insist on a follow up either from Studd or ask if you should be referred to someone else locally.

As dazned says 4 pumps is a very high dose of gel I would say for post-menopause and as she says if you are bleeding in the absence of taking progesterone then it is either your own cycle - if you still have one, or the lining has over-thickened as is coming away spontaneously in which case  you would need more progesterone or less oestrogen. Alternatively there could be something in the lining causing problems eg fibroids or polyps. However Studd is the expert and knows your history - so ask him! :) Do not wait too long to get this sorted out.

Did you have a scan of your lining before you started this new regime or have you had one recently?

Hurdity x