Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1893 times)

paulat

Hi
« on: July 19, 2016, 07:59:10 AM »

Good Morning
I am new to this group and would like to say Hi 😊

I am 46 and have had no periods since Feb 16, have hot flushes, mood swings, insomnia, lack of concentration/memory loss, no libido and basically feel like I'm going mad!!

I got a prescription some months ago for HRT, but they made me sick and dreadful headaches, so my nurse prescribed me Evorel 25 patches yesterday.....my pharmacy has ordered them in so I will be collecting them later.

I pray I will feel better soon

Love Paula x

dazned

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 08:12:27 AM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

Good to have you join us ! Hope you get settled on your patches soon . What are you going to be using for the progesterone part ?

paulat

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:20 AM »

Hi, thankyou for the welcome, I have a mirena coil.....x

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 03:53:34 PM »

Welcome to MM,

Well done for getting the oestrogen patches and luckily you have the progesterone part sorted.

I'm not trying to put the damper on things but please be prepared to up your patch dose if necessary because 25mcg is very low and chances are you will need more in the future 50mcg  or 75mcg perhaps.  The Mirena coil is quite strong and and some of the progesterone does get into your overall system so you might need to use more oestrogen to get good results.  I had a Mirena coil without enough oestrogen and it caused me all sorts of problems so I know how you must have felt prior to the patches.

I use the Oestrogel which is very good and wish I had tried it with the Mirena. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:24:00 PM by Mary G »

dazned

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »

Good to see you have the progesterone part sorted out,thats the bit most struggle with  ;)

Now all you need is to put the patch on and wait,good idea to start off lowish and build up if need be ,but hopefully it will do the trick and that the headaches stay away.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »

Hi paulat

:welcomemm: from me too!

As you have a Mirena you won't really know how far into menopause you are - if your periods stop with the Mirena in, it just means you are probably producing less oestrogen. The fact that you are getting symptoms confirms this. If you didn't have the Mirena, you may well still be having fairly regular periods. As you are will be peri-menopausal (probably fairly early) then as dazned says it's a good idea to start low (to minimise side effects) and then build up.

As Mary G says you will probably need a higher dose than this at some point if you reach or near the menopause - for example 50 mcg - but you will know this if your symptoms abate and then start to come back. You need to make sure you replace adequate oestrogen until at least the natural average age of menopause which is 51/52, to help protect your bones and heart.

I use Estradot patches which are much smaller than Evorel - and stick very well so maybe something to think about in the future if you decide to increase your dose. I have been on these (50 mcg dose) since late peri-menopause age almost 54 and I am now 63 and have found them to be very effective.

What type of HRT were you gievn before? Sometimes tablet oestrogen upsets women's digestion. You may experience some initial side effects but these will soon subside. Here's hoping you feel much better soon :)

Hurdity x