Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Heartburn etc  (Read 2176 times)

bramble

Heartburn etc
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:44:14 PM »

I was on medication for anxiety. I stopped it 11 weeks ago on the advice from my doctor. Since then I have had terrible time with heartburn. According to my doctor my nerve ends are in a state of flux after stopping the tablets and my heartburn is due to stomach acid. I have tried Gavis*con, rennies, bicarb of soda and chewing gum. Any help out there? It is so very painful. Got Om-something or other from doc and that was no help - in fact pain worse.

Bramble

walking the dog

Re: Heartburn etc
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 06:51:20 PM »

When I was on ADs they caused me terrible acid reflux during the night and my gp prescribed omperazole to be took before evening meal could you ask about that ?

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 04:34:23 PM »

Hi Sparkle

Try Lanspranol ( I think that is what they are called) they are much better than Omeprozale, they are 30mg capsels and taken 1/2 hr - 1 hr before breakfast)

They worked brilliant for me but now I'm getting indigestion constantly so have changed to Ranitidine which is twice daily.  My ms nurse informed me that my ms could be causing it, and not certain foods.

Ann x

Smokey

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 04:35:17 PM »

Sorry I meant Bramble!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:15:18 PM »

Hiatus hernia is common at our 'time of Life' due to oestrogen levels dropping which = laxity of muscles.  I had vicious acid reflux when I had that Germ in May  >:( - water, tea, Nurofen all triggered it ………. Rennies is my go-to.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 07:40:01 PM »

If omeprazole type drugs ( ppi's) do not work then there are other gastric conditions that give same symptoms as acid reflux but are not caused by too much acid hence these drugs not helping. If this happens to you then make sure you see a gastroenterolgist to rule out other reasons as this is often ignored by GP's.
There are 3 ppi drugs to try and everyone reacts differently so maybe change to lansoprasole as has been suggested.
Gaviscon /rennies etc can be used as well just not 2 hrs before or after taking the drugs.