Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Tiny black flies!  (Read 15481 times)

Stellajane

Tiny black flies!
« on: July 18, 2016, 03:28:51 PM »

Does anyone know what those very tiny black flies are that seem to hang around the beaches of the east coast (Lincolnshire and Yorkshire).  We've come across them on two occasions now but only in this area. I imagine they're harmless - but pretty irritating! Very amusing watching everyone madly trying to brush them off their clothing. Once we got away from the beach it was fine ... unfortunately we had only gone there for the beach!

Dancinggirl

Re: Tiny black flies!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »

I'm on the Suffolk coast and we have a plague of these - although they seem to have disappeared now!!!
We now have a terrible problem with fruit flies here - causing a lot of problems at work.  We usually have lots of mosquitos by now as well but they don't seem to be so prevalent at the moment - I'm sure they will become a problem soon.  It's all good for the birds and bats though.  DG xxx

Elizabethrose

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »

Are they Thrips Stellajane, I've experienced them in Lincolnshire when travelling? Tiny but long.

Plagued with fruit flies at the moment too Dancinggirl and bitten to death by mosquitos at an open air concert last night. Very swollen and itchy today!

dazned

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »

Came out of supermarket this morning and there were swarms of fling ants all over/around the carpark,horrible things !  :o

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 05:01:43 PM »

Yuck. Thought midges were a pest.  ::)

walking the dog

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »

Often get those flying ants all over our tent when camping in the lakes then they fly off as fast as they arrived

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 06:36:53 PM »

As long they are not like the sand flies that we encountered whe we naively camped on the west coast of South Island, NZ. I was bitten so badly that I developed Cellulitus on around my eyes. Not recommended!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 09:01:15 PM »

They might be kelp flies if there is a lot of seaweed about?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coelopidae , although these are not tiny.....

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 08:19:09 AM »

Having known the east coast most of my life, swarms of various insects seem to happen all the time from Spring on.
One year there were, what I call, thunder bugs and these are quite large and black and aim for bright TShirts. We often get swarms of ladybirds and they will create a carpet all over buildings and the ground.  This year we've had these tinny black beetle like insects that have covered my flowers and the washing on the line.  Flying ants seem to happen everywhere, especially if it's been wet and then we get a hot spell that makes them all hatch out at once.
Crane Flies (Daddy Long legs) usually emerge in late summer. Wasps are just a nuisance at any time during the summer!! >:(
Stellajane - I don't think you can expect there to be insects of the beach all the time - it will be about the weather and the life cycle of certain insects and nobody will know when or where they will plague us.  A lot of the swarms are coming from Europe on the wind. We may be doing Brexit but it won't stop us getting their wildlife and pollution. DG x

Scampi

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 09:07:06 AM »

They sound like the little beasties I've always referred to as 'thunderbugs' - they seem to appear at this time of year, especially in warm (and therefore often thundery) weather.  Very tiny, but incredibly itchy on your skin (and when you kill one, 3000 come to the funeral!!).  They definitely seem to be attracted by bright colours, or white.

Elizabethrose

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 09:48:05 AM »

Yep, thunder bugs are thrips. Pesky little things! Experienced them at this time of year in Lincolnshire.