Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Help me! What can I do about progesterone?  (Read 1931 times)

Lizab

Help me! What can I do about progesterone?
« on: July 10, 2016, 04:30:33 PM »

Refresher: I'm 39, currently on US brands of 50 Estrodot with 10 days per month of 200 Utrogestan orally. I have been up and down over several months with a trend of gradual improvement.

Due to a recent vacation, I waited 6 weeks between Utro courses rather than 4 weeks. That was the best I have felt since this ordeal began, practically no anxiety, weepiness, hot flashes, etc. Now I'm in the midde of the Utro course and feeling awful. I have had a nagging headache since the first dose and it's wearing me down. I am having hot flashes, I'm sad, anxious, no energy, and can't shake this headache. I'm not sure if Utro has always had this effect on me and I'm only recognizing it now because I had a month without it rather than 18 days without. I have a few more days of Utro and then I expect to have a dip a few days after that from withdrawal before I feel good again.

There must be a better way. I have not tried any other form of progestin as hrt. I did have side effects including migraine from Mirena years ago as contraceptive and had to have it removed before the end of its life. Several formulations of contraceptive pill in my 20s caused irregular bleeding. I'm a bit scared as I am lost on where to go from here. My gp is fantastic and would probably be open to anything I suggest, but isn't equipped to run scans. Prior experience telñs me that the gynecologist practice has no interest in helping me, although I've never discussed hrt with them. I just don't know what to do.

Lizab

Re: Help me! What can I do about progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »

I forgot to also ask, is it fine to take ibuprofen with Utro? For some reason I avoid it but I don't know why. If I could do that for my headaches that would help greatly. Acetaminophen doesn't help very much.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »

:bighug:

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 05:15:53 PM »

Lisab, so sorry to hear Utro is giving you hard times! Yes I think it is fine to take ibuprofen with utro. Although I am on a different progestin, I have never heard of any interaction whatsoever, and I do often take ibuprofen to help with cramps.

I take dydrogesterone as a part of Femoston but Dydro is also available here (in Bulgaria) as a separate drug and can be combined with any type of estrogen. It is a great progestin with hardly any side effects and I feel great on it (already two years!). You may research and see whether it is available in the US.

Another option is the Mirena but I wouldn't go that way if you have had migranes before on it.

I am sorry I can't be of more help, I hope you will find a solution soon!
Milamam

Lizab

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »

Up until now, I wouldn't have complained about the Utrogestan itself. The monthly up and down was annoying but still an improvement over down all the time. Seven days of nagging headache is pushing me down. It's not all that painful, but with pressure and a little nauseated. Maybe it's affecting me more because I had a slightly longer cycle without this time. I enjoyed that longer spell and was going to talk to my gp about permanently going on a 6 week cycle, but I'm not sure about that now. I suppose for every good benefit there is a payoff.

dazned

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:51:11 PM »

Have you tried using it vaginally instead of orally ? Many on here use it that way with reports of less side effects.

Trufflecat

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:34:05 PM »

I tried using it vaginally this month and get the moods and paranoia that I usually do.  Why 200mg? Why not 100 per day?

dazned

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 07:42:53 AM »

200mg is the licensed dose for usage in hrt.  ;)