Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Totally and utterly fed up  (Read 3121 times)

mamma1027

Totally and utterly fed up
« on: July 04, 2016, 08:50:22 AM »

I posted a while back re: unexplained postmenopausal bleeding. I had my hysteroscopy, d&c and polypectomy on 9th June. The fantastic news is that there is no makignancy :D. Having been bleeding constantly since 3rd April, I was relieved when the bleeding finally stopped on 13th June. Oh bliss.......for five days. Then it started again. Went to see my gp who took a swab just incase I had an infection as I have also been in pain from day one of this. Swab was clear :). Things have progressively got worse. Last wednesday evening I started to bleed really heavily, with huge clots. Went back to the gp's on Thursday. She's given me norethisterone 5mg to take 3 times a day. So far the bleeding hasn't abated. Gp has written to gynae unit to ask for me to be seen (as my biopsy results were negative I wouldn't get a follow-up appointment :o) So, here I am, worse than I was before, in pain, bleeding like a teenager who's just started their menstrual cycles and feeling thoroughly depressed. Oh, and the norethisterone makes me feel like I've got the wirst hangover going. Sorry for the rant, but I needed to vent my feelings. Love to you all xxx

Taz2

Re: Totally and utterly fed up
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:10:17 AM »

Hi mamma1027 - what a nuisance and a worry for you!

I've had a quick internet search and it seems really common for women to begin experiencing bleeding some years after an ablation so could it be that you were not post meno at all but merely had your bleeding held in check for a while due to the ablation? Have you  had your hormones checked - i.e. oestrogen level, fsh etc. to see where you are in meno?

Taz x

mamma1027

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »

Hi Taz2. Thanks for your reply :) After I had my ablation 11 yeas ago I still had periods, although they were significantly lighter. Started getting perimenopausal symptoms some 4 or 5 years ago, sometimes going 2 or 3 months between cycles, then my periods stopped completely May 2015. I haven't had my hormones checked, but I'm back to the gp's on the 15th so will ask for one then. I just feel so fed up, exhausted and uncomfortable.  I'm hoping that I will also be seen in clinic as there are questions I want to ask. Oh, just rememberd (foggy brain ;D) that whilst there was no malignancy there was an eostrogen proliferation. My gp didn't know how to interperate this. Oh well, I'm off to pop another norethisterone (yuck)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »

Depending on when you had your tests I believe (not too sure on this) that the proliferative state is when you are leading up to ovulation - the follicle is beginning to grow - which would show that you are still ovulating.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »

I've just found this which seems to explain quite well the different types of dysfunctional bleeding and the causes/treatments. https://www.glowm.com/section_view/heading/Dysfunctional%20Uterine%20Bleeding/item/293 Takes a bit of wading through but it might help?

Taz x

mamma1027

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 09:44:44 AM »

Thank you Taz2 , I will check  this out xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 12:59:44 PM »

When does the GP expect the bleeding to ease/cease?

mamma1027

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »

Hello CLKD :) She said I should have seen a difference by Saturday just gone(I started taking them on Thursday) with it having stopped by either yesterday or today. I'm on a 10 day course, so will plough on with them. The cramps, which I've had since April, are not going away, in fact they are slightly worse. Who would have thought that such a small part of our anatomy could cause so many problems?

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 03:09:35 PM »

Mine did from the 3/4th period - pain, clotting, nausea, agony  :'(

Let us know how you go!

:tulips:

mamma1027

Re: Totally and utterly fed up - an update
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »

Two pieces of good news - the bleeding has stopped :spin: and I finally have a follow-up appointment on 4th August. I know the bleeding may restart when I stop the Norethisterone, but I don't care now that I know I've an appointment in clinic :) take care all of you xxxxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:26 AM »

…. also you know that the Noretheisterone too ;-)

Hurdity

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 04:04:48 PM »

Hi mamma1027

Glad the bleeding has stopped.

It could well be that although your periods stopped - this wasn't proper menopause because the ablation was limiting the bleeding - a bit like women who have a Mirena coil - periods eventually stop but this is often well before menopause.

If that is the case then you may well not have reached menopause yet which would explain the bleeding - as Taz says the oestrogen proliferation happens during the first part of the menstrual cycle when the womb lining thickens. After ovulation, progesterone is produced from the ruptured egg follicle which changes the womb lining from proliferative to secretory. If the egg is not fertilised the follicle dies, progesterone levels fall and the lining is shed.

I don't know enough about ablations ie whether they stop working after a while? However if you are now having some sort of bleeding due to your own cycle and there is no malignancy maybe the doc would suggest a Mirena coil rather than taking norethisterone, if the bleeding restarts soon after stopping (I know what you mean about that - it can have horrible side effects especially in the large doses that you are taking)? You would then be able to add in oestrogen if you are getting flushes and sweats as well.

Hurdity x