Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Heavy, Prolonged Periods  (Read 4475 times)

toffeecushion

Heavy, Prolonged Periods
« on: June 19, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »

I'm after a bit of reassurance really as I have scared myself into thinking I have uterine cancer.  I have been having, sometimes heavy, prolonged periods since October 2013.  I had a scan and they found a polyp, which they left in.  They put the bleeding down to perimenopause.  Since then my periods have been about every 6 to 8 weeks but I bleed for about 3 weeks at a time, sometimes quite heavy.  This has caused me to become anemic on a couple of occasions and I have been on and off iron tablets over the years.  I recently had a blood test which said I was anemic again, this time the doctor  wanted to see me.  We discussed my bleeding and she suggested another scan.  She got me an appointment in under a week which is worrying me.  Has she rushed it through because she suspects something is wrong.  I have also found that over the past 6 months or so that I need to go to the toilet more often and can often get the urge to pee soon after.  I was putting the toilet issue down to menopause as well.

I have my scan on Tuesday but would appreciate any experiences of prolonged bleeding and frequent toilet trips that have been menopause related.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Heavy, Prolonged Periods
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 06:03:53 PM »

A GP can prescribe medication to ease long bleeds.  Yours is probably looking for nowt other than 'within normal limits' i.e. to make sure that womb thickening is normal.  Did your GP not explain?  >:(.  It is possible that she got a cancellated appt. for you.

I have to pee after a bowel movements, that's how I know that I have finished.  Hormonal fluctuations can cause the bowels to become more often …….. or can cause constipation. 

Let us know how you get on!

toffeecushion

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 06:49:27 PM »

I suppose it is possible that she got a cancellation for me, but there must be more urgent cases that need a sooner appointment.   When I was in her surgery she said it would be the end of July before I would get an appointment.   That was on the Wednesday,  on Thursday the secretary called saying they had arranged an appointment for the following Tuesday.   The more I think about it the more I am worrying and Dr Google hasn't helped at all

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »

So why don't you ring the Surgery and ask if it is a cancellation?  Stop thinking that there are 'more urgent' cases, well actually, nope!  Your GP is dealing with your symptoms!!!!!

Twinstwice22

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »

Tell them you've had scans before you want a pipette biopsy. If you explain how anxious you are I'm sure they'll arrange that for you. I started with severe bleeding at Xmas and the scan showed thicken lining. Biopsy said Complex Endometrial Hyperplasia. My lining was ridiculously thick, polyps too, action plan Mirena coil. Didn't work for me, as my uterus is a funny shape n the blood clots dragged it out. So I've recently had a total hysterectomy. Stay away for Dr Google its your own worst enemy. I'm 5 weeks post op n waiting for the menopause to kick in but nothing yet.

I was fast tracked, the anemia fast tracks you.

Lisa.

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 01:39:45 AM »

I had my scan.  The polyp seems to have disappeared.   They are going to do a hysteroscopy just to be sure.  My lining was 3.5

Twinstwice22

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »

That's good things moving along. Hope your not as stressed. I had that done and watched it all on a screen. I thought it was quite cool.

Lisa

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:47:44 PM »

R U less stressed?  Following procedures can be time consuming and a bit worrying but if the results are 'within normal limits', is is worth while.

:welcomemm: Twinstwice22 [really  ;D  ::) ]

Annika

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 11:05:13 PM »

Sorry to hear what you are going through Toffeecushion I did expereince the bleeding that went on and on too but also the pressure and peeing that went on also. When I finally had a scan and biopsy doctor said it was the pressure of fibroids, three large ones that were pressing on the bladder area. Not sure if this is what your having or not? I was very anemic as the periods just got longer and longer and finally I asked for a hysterectomy which solved all my problems. I hope you can get yourself sorted soon and try not to worry (don't Google). Annika xx