Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Delaying progesterone to delay bleed  (Read 7550 times)

Lizab

Delaying progesterone to delay bleed
« on: June 18, 2016, 04:35:43 AM »

I am due to start 10 days of progesterone Sunday. I have some travels planned so I'm planning to delay the progesterone for a week or two in hopes of delaying the bleed. I take it every 4 weeks, but my doctor had initially given me the option of a long cycle of every 2 or 3 months. For the six months that I've been on hrt, I've not had any unscheduled bleeding, but I've also not shown any signs of ovulation. Today I have some signs of ovulation (stretchy egg white). If I am ovulating, would I perhaps still have a bleed shortly even without the progesterone, i.e. should I pack a bag of period supplies? And if I do have a period, should I skip the progesterone altogether for the month?

Dancinggirl

Re: Delaying progesterone to delay bleed
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 08:17:29 AM »

If your own hormones are overriding the HRT then there is probably no way of avoiding a bleed.  However to delay the progesterone for a week would be fine in theory. Not sure what HRT regime you are using? If your cycle has been predictable this far on the current HRT regime then adjusting when you use progesterone may work. You could use the progesterone early to get the bleed out of the way before you go away.???  Dg x

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:58:39 PM »

Thanks Dg, that's what I was thinking. Taking it early won't help. I should be starting progesterone tomorrow. I wasn't so worried about the bleed as much as taking the progesterone during my trip, and my bleed wouldn't come til the end anyway. I have always avoided alcohol during the progesterone portion and don't want to have to refrain while I'm travelling. Our destination is known for dining and drinking so I hope to enjoy it fully  :D I'm going to hold off on the progesterone and see what happens. The good news is that if this is ovulation, it looks like my body was synced nicely with the timing of my hrt. I'm on US equivalent to Estradot and Utrogestan. Do you think I should skip the progesterone altogether for the month if I do happen to have a period (to keep things in sync)?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »

Don't skip doing the Utro phase for a whole month - just delay it.  Leaving a longer gap in the peri stage could result in problematic bleeding. Enjoy your holiday.  DG x

Dandelion

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 03:16:15 AM »

I'm guilty of having 'months off' or sometimes 'two months off', cos I can't be doing with sticking my fingers up my chuff.
Im getting better now though, but I still need to train myself to go str8 to bed after insertion, I'm a night owl some nights, so some nights my utro wouldnt get inserted till 6am

not a good example to follow

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 03:18:42 AM »

Thanks Dg, that's what I was thinking. Taking it early won't help. I should be starting progesterone tomorrow. I wasn't so worried about the bleed as much as taking the progesterone during my trip, and my bleed wouldn't come til the end anyway. I have always avoided alcohol during the progesterone portion and don't want to have to refrain while I'm travelling. Our destination is known for dining and drinking so I hope to enjoy it fully  :D I'm going to hold off on the progesterone and see what happens. The good news is that if this is ovulation, it looks like my body was synced nicely with the timing of my hrt. I'm on US equivalent to Estradot and Utrogestan. Do you think I should skip the progesterone altogether for the month if I do happen to have a period (to keep things in sync)?
Why do you avoid alcohol during the progesterone phase?
Up until 9 weeks ago, I used to drink pretty heavy but it started doing my head in more and more so I knocked it on the head.
Abstinence is hard, but I feel strong enough to carry it through at the moment nad hope to carry it through for the rat of my life.

Lizab

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 04:37:11 AM »

I'm not much of a drinker anyway, only one or two in the evening now and then, so the alcohol sometimes has a strong effect on me. I'm not comfortable taking progesterone on top of alcohol. I take it orally, so the progesterone alone makes me feel drunk enough. I do go to bed shortly after I take it. It isn't generally an issue for me, just not my cup of tea, but I know with our vacation plans and the friends we'll be travelling with, I'll want to enjoy a few late night drinks.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »

I'm not much of a drinker anyway, only one or two in the evening now and then, so the alcohol sometimes has a strong effect on me. I'm not comfortable taking progesterone on top of alcohol. I take it orally, so the progesterone alone makes me feel drunk enough. I do go to bed shortly after I take it. It isn't generally an issue for me, just not my cup of tea, but I know with our vacation plans and the friends we'll be travelling with, I'll want to enjoy a few late night drinks.
hi and thanks for explaining that to me.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 08:26:55 PM »

Dandelion - alcohol and progesterone often gives me a migraine -and especially if I have a drink later in the evening.

Lizab - maybe delay it as Dancinggirl says, and see what happens.

Hurdity x

Lizab

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 03:44:45 PM »

Thanks, Hurdity. Maybe I can be more clear with my question. I normally do 4 weeks and was planning to stretch it out to 5 or 6 weeks for this cycle. But if I do happen to bleed on schedule in spite of delaying the progesterone, should I go ahead and stretch it to 8 weeks for this round then resume every 4 weeks as normal? Or take the progesterone at 5 or 6 weeks even if I'm bleeding already? I'm only curious, it may not even be an issue at all.