Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mood stabilisers?  (Read 1485 times)

Chi chi

Mood stabilisers?
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:30:50 PM »

I was put on Depakote a few years ago after my breakdown, my GP said it would help "stabilise" my mood at an even level. I've since swapped to Lamactil and am on 100mg which I believe is a low dose.
I'm just wondering if this could be halting my mood improving and keeping it at a lower level?
I want to come off it and I have dropped from 125 but as usual am scared in case I feel worse.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Mood stabilisers?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 10:03:23 PM »

Medication isn't a 'cure'.  Stabilisers do what it says on the tin.  It doesn't mean you will be bright and cheerful but maybe you need to become 'used' to the current status quo?

If you feel better than B4 you began the medication then why stop?

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 01:15:59 PM »

Is it "stabilising" my low mood though?? Estrogen is supposed to be good for mood but I'm wondering if the mood stabiliser is stopping it from working in that way and keeping my mood at the low level?
They're supposed to stop mood lowering so do they also stop it from rising like mania I suppose?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:00:06 PM by Chi chi »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 05:26:54 PM »

Maybe speak with a Pharmacist?  If you take the packet with you and ask what you have asked here - then let us know  ::)

matildamouse

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 08:33:52 PM »

Lamictal is an excellent choice as a mood stabilzer as it also has an anti-depressant effect. And you are on an average dosage so my suggestion is to just carry on.