Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Should I book a private scan?  (Read 5993 times)

Mojo61

Should I book a private scan?
« on: June 04, 2016, 06:18:38 PM »

Hi ladies. I'm sorry to keep going on about this but I'm still bleeding quite badly on the HRT patches and my health anxiety is going into overdrive now.

Started on Evorel Conti patches on 26th Feb (post meno 3 years) started bleeding about a month ago. It stopped for a week then started again. Went to Dr who explained all this is normal and she won't send me for a scan until 6 months has passed from the date I started. She then told me to try the sequi patch but I've yet to start them as she suggested finishing off this pack of Conti first (I've got 2 patches left) and see if it stops. I am getting period pains and sore boobs too and I feel nauseated especially in the morning. Also feel like I have constant PMS if that makes sense?

I'm seriously considering paying for a scan privately just to put my mind at rest because I'm terrified it is something else. I don't mind sticking with the Conti if I know there's nothing sinister going on as she said it normally settles right down by 6 months. But going another 3 months or so with continuous bleeding whilst not knowing what's causing it is driving me mad and making my anxiety really bad. A scan plus a blood test for cancer markings is £190 - a small price to pay for peace of mind - or should I just wait, or start the sequi? I just don't know what to do and I don't have anyone to speak to about it either, my husband died and I don't want to worry my son.

Sorry for the rant - just feeling so scared and alone with all this at the moment and wishing I'd never started on the flaming HRT in the first place! I only went on it hoping it would help with my insomnia and anxiety - its helped with the sleep but it seems to be making the anxiety worse!

countrybumpkin

Re: Should I book a private scan?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 06:27:02 PM »

I can't help with the hrt as I can't take it due to family history of breast cancer.  I can totally understand your desire for a scan and blood test, what you need to think about is if and I know its highly unlikely but if the scan/blood test showed up anything of concern then they inform your Gp who then has to refer you on nhs which can all take time. Unless you can afford to have private treatment this I have found can be the downside of having private tests.

Have you actually told your Gp how worried you are and how much an ultrasound would put your mind at rest??  My Dr always says he is not a mind reader and if I am worried about something not matter how silly I think it is then tell him and he can explain why he thinks I am wrong or arrange a test to allay my fears.

Also to consider, is it worth the anxiety etc to continue with hrt? Its about quality of life, was your life better before than it is now or not? 

Someone with lots of experience of hrt will I am sure post a reply very soon, but I do understand your anxiety x

Mojo61

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 06:33:26 PM »

Thank you for your reply. I did ask the Dr if I could be referred for a scan to put my mind at rest but she said it's not indicated because bleeding on Conti HRT is very common, especially if it has been a while since the periods have stopped, and they would only consider a scan if it carries on longer than 6 months. Also I have never had any PV bleeding or problems since the menopause, only after I started the HRT so even less reason to send me. I'm guessing it is all down to money... :(

saffy123

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 07:06:36 PM »

That is a difficult one...I have to confess that I have paid to see private doctors to put my mind at rest, especially as I have not got a lot of faith in my GP's at my local surgery. I think its down to whether you are happy to pay and how happy you have been with your GP's in the past...xx

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 07:16:21 PM »

Hello  Mojo61.

I am six years post meno and have been on Evorel Conti 50 mcg patches for a year. I have had all sorts of bleeding issues, some fairly heavy. The first time was when I increased to 75mcg and my GP suggested reducing to 50mcg again and it settled.  When it began again I was referred for a scan and hysteroscopy and all was normal. The bleeding started again a while ago but stopped when I changed the location of the patch from my abdomen to my buttock. I wondered if my usual site had become saturated with hormones or maybe my chubby bottom was more grateful for the attention lol.

I say all this to reassure you that this kind of HRT induced bleeding is not unusual and that is probably why your GP is not overly worried.

I can however understand your concern and I know how odd it can feel to bleed when you've been period free for so long. 

I wish you well in whatever you decide to do and of course the MM  ladies are always here to offer help and comfort.

Take care.

K.
P.S. I have just changed my HRT to Oestrogel instead of the patch but that's because I wanted to fiddle with the dose. I am also using Utrogestan orally so it's still a conti regime and there is no sign of bleeding yet but it's still early days.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »

Does your GP seem reassuring?

Mojo61

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 08:37:19 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies! You are all so kind and helpful.

Stellajane - if I just stop the patches will I suffer withdrawal symptoms? I'm sure the patches have helped with sleep and I'm dreading going back to the crippling insomnia I suffered before starting the HRT. Also I started citalopram about a month after the patches so it is difficult to tell what is doing what. Also how long would you suggest I take a break for before starting the sequi?

CLKD - She's not actually a doctor, she is a nurse practitioner and deals with all the menopause queries at the surgery. She can be a little brusque, and doesn't seem concerned about my issues. It rather appears that she's in a rush to get me out so she can get the next patient in. To be honest I'm a bit scared of her :(

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:39 PM »

Whereas at our Surgery I book to see the Practice Nurse 'cos I know she'll have time  ::).

Think of the Citalopram as an addition to easing symptoms.  It sometimes takes 8-9 months B4 a sufferer notices any benefit, I suddenly thought 'OH, I feel better!'  ::)

Maybe speak with a Pharmacist on Monday about how long a gap to leave?

Mojo61

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 08:51:39 PM »

8 or 9 months???    :o

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 08:59:51 PM »

That doesn't mean that the sufferer doesn't get some relief  ;) - also some ADs need a hike in dosage to enable the patient to get benefit. 

How worried are you, getting back to your thread?  Worried enough to pay for a scan and what do you expect from the result? or wait and see? 

Mojo61

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »

I would like to be reassured that there is nothing awful going on and that it is just the hormones causing the bleeding. I think if I knew that I could probably carry on or perhaps swap to the Sequi patches.

Last night it stopped and I thought hooray! But this morning it has started again :(
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 10:12:25 AM by Mojo61 »

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 02:22:49 PM »

Did you decide to wait for another few weeks or seek a private appt.?

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »

:thankyou:

Mojo61

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »

Hello ladies. Sorry I haven't replied to your  kind answers but I've had a rotten cold. Anyway the good news is the bleeding has stopped for now so I will hold on a bit longer and see how things go. I have to start the sequi patches anyway next week as that's what my doctor/nurse has told me to do.
But now I have another problem - grrrr - the bleeding has been replaced by a yellow discharge (I'm still too nervous to go without a tampon in case it starts suddenly again whilst I'm out or asleep) It is not smelly or itchy, just yellow! Obviously now I'm worrying that it could be pus. Damn this health anxiety, I wish it would do one!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:54 PM »

Use pads, not tampons!   Allow the flow to be 'free'  ::) because occasional discharge can turn into something nasty!

I've had a GERM for 3 weeks  >:(
Pages: [1] 2