Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Where's my 'good' week gone?  (Read 1869 times)

Babsm67

Where's my 'good' week gone?
« on: May 29, 2016, 06:08:16 PM »

Hi, I haven't said much on here recently as I have been worried that if I mention about my current job situation etc.,  I might be identified by colleagues.  However, I am now at my wit's end as I am on day 11 of my cycle and I would normally have been feeling much better during the week after my period (I experience severe PMS) but, this month, it hasn't happened.  Instead, since yesterday, I have been feeling extremely anxious and actually flew into a rage in the morning.  Earlier, I was meant to tow my daughter's car 15 miles (something I haven't done before) and the thought filled me with horror - so much so that, when the rope snapped 3 times just driving a short distance along a busy road (my husband was in the towed car), I completely went to pieces and nearly had a panic attack.  As a result, I let everyone down and upset my autistic son in the process. The car had to be left in a nearby car park.    Last month, the same thing happened during an exam I was taking &, needless to say, I failed.   What on earth is going on - is this a symptom of low oestrogen?  Surely, I should be feeling good during this week?  I have tried 1 pump of Oestrogel in recent months but I actually felt MORE anxious (wired, jittery) & had dreadful fluid retention so gave up as I assumed that my own levels were still too high. 
I must add that I am just 49, still having periods every month (v heavy for first 2 days as I have small fibroid) - my cycle has lengthened by a coup!e of days recently after being shorter for around 2 years.  Still haven't missed any yet but am starting to get occasional cystitis type symptoms along with sporadic vaginal dryness.  I know I need SOMETHING but not sure what to do for the best as my own hormones are fluctuating so much.  No proper hot flushes yet but I do get very hot at night during 2nd half of cycle.  Any suggestions would be appreciated  :). Thank you  :)
PS.I do not tolerate progestogens very well.

dangermouse

Re: Where's my 'good' week gone?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »

It's hard to tell immediately if this is he first month it's happened but if Day 11 it could be too low prog allowing oestrogen to surge. Especially if you've reacted badly to Oestrogel.

If you don't tolerate progesterone then you could try just riding out the oestrogen peaks (or use a low dose beta blocker for any intense moments) or try a different form of progesterone as some may affect you better than others.

Babsm67

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »

Thanks, Dangermouse - I was a weeping mess this morning.  When I took the exam, it was day 4 of my last cycle.  I had been finding, recently, that the PMS symptoms were continuing to the end of my period instead of day 1 but this is the first month that it has continued into week 2 although my mood lifted a little on Thurs and Friday but dropped again on Saturday.  I did read on here that Femoston 1/10 has a 'kinder' progesterone & wondered if it is worth trying but if my oestrogen has surged, will it make matters worse?  It is so hard to find the right balance as my hormones seem to be fluctuating so much.  I am due to try and take the exam again later this week, having intentionally booked it for when I thought I would be 'better' but now feel it would not be a good idea!  I will take on board your suggestion about betablockers as they may be better than Valium which I have to take on an 'as & when basis'.  I took a sleeping pill last night as my insomnia is atrocious but, unfortunately, I ended up driving my husband into the spare room as he said I was 'snoring like a foghorn & he cou!dn't wake me up!  X
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:03:18 PM by MadBloss »

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 01:46:46 PM »

8) Two very stressful situations regardless of how you feel. I am not suffering from anxiety generally, but would have been a gibbering wreck with the first one, had I even agreed to do it in the first place! I hope you get things sorted soon. 

Do you normally cope well with everything or feel you have to? Sometimes you have to say no to the things in order to look after your own well being. I doubt this is just hormonal, but stress as well. You are not super human. Listen to your body. Slow down where you can. Say no where you can. You must look after yourself first in order to be able to look after others. This is not being selfish. What kind of self care things have you in place if any? As you get older, you cannot carry on in the same way as when you were younger.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »

Ju Ju speaks a lot of sense and I could do well to make notes of her comments.  I never learn and end up suffering for thinking I 'ought' to be able to do everything like I used to.

Nowadays if I have more than one or, on a good day, two balls in the air at the same time I usually drop the lot!