Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Poor sleep  (Read 3406 times)

Niamh

Poor sleep
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »

Hi all

I know poor sleep is a really common symptom of peri and meno and I'm just interested to hear of other people's experiences, what's worked, what hasn't and when it maybe has stopped!

I'm 41 and peri, I see Studd so I'm on the ostrogel/utro combo and since Jan I've  used 2 pumps but as of 2 days ago I've put it back up to 3 which he originally prescribed as I started waking frequently at night boiling hot, not night sweats but overwhelmingly hot then frequent waking/light sleep, horrid, I'm exhausted as I pass out at 10/10.30 but wake at 1.30 then feel like I toss and turn before waking again very early before 6.

Since all the hormone turmoil I've been prone to poor sleep and the hrt sometimes helps sometimes o think my hormones push through and poor sleep returns. It varies from week to week and I find it very debahiltating with 2 small boys to look after one who is a lively 2 year old 😁

I'm hoping an increase in ostrogen will help. I love the patches when I sleep soundly but sadly they never last long...anyone any advice!
X

Niamh

Re: Poor sleep
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 03:31:43 PM »

Btw when I refer to patches I mean 'phases' not ostrogen patches  ;D

Liz

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:21:36 PM »

Hi - you sound exactly like me....... I'm 48.  I'm doing an experiment at the moment and so far, (touch wood!!) it's working.  I've changed to applying my gel at night rather than mornings.  I'm only using 1 pump at the moment but the last two nights I've slept much better without waking (although I do wake up early, especially with the light mornings).  Prior to this I was waking up hot and sweaty several times a night.  Could be a coincidence but I shall watch points.  When do you apply your gel?

Niamh

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

Hi Liz, I apply early in the morning as I find if I put it on at night it makes me wired and I can't get to sleep  ::)

I might try 2 pumps on the morn and 1 in the evening

The thing is suddenly I sleep ok again either waking once or like you right through until earlyish but then bam rubbish sleep hits again I really think it's just peri and my own hormones fluctuating but there must be a way to resolve it in the main it's awful :( x

Liz

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 06:32:40 PM »

I think, in my case, it's because I'm using a low dose of gel and my own hormones are having a party underneath.......  ???   I'm going to continue with my experiment and see how it goes applying at night,  Hope you sort something out. x

Dulciana

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:05 PM »

Magnesium spray works for me.

Niamh

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 08:19:24 PM »

Where do you get this from? Are you on hrt as well?

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 10:04:11 AM »

Where do you get this from? Are you on hrt as well?

I'm not, Niamh and as Sparkle says, health food shops and (where I get mine) online.

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 11:45:06 AM »

I'll be interested in what others say. I can't take anything with valerian as I get extremely nauseous. Tried magnesium spray, but really irritated my skin.

Niamh

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »

Thanks all well I may try the spray but want to stick to the increased ostrogen first to see if that works. May be coincidence but I slept much better last night, infant pretty well so maybe it's starting to help me......x