Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Panic attacks are back  (Read 2722 times)

Moomaid

Panic attacks are back
« on: May 25, 2016, 11:36:50 AM »

Hi all

I started on Evorel 50 patches just under 3 months ago and they've been transformational!

However in the last week my panic attacks have returned. Nowhere near as severe as they used to be before the patches but definitely back and waking me up a couple of times in the night.

Do you think it might be that I'm getting deeper into the menopause and therefore my symptoms are getting stronger? And/or do you think that I might need a stronger dose patch?

I have my 3 month review appointment with the GP tomorrow.

I'm 52 (53 in September) and started getting my first menopause symptoms about 12 months ago.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Many thanks

Moomaid

Hurdity

Re: Panic attacks are back
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:56:00 PM »

Hi Moomam

You haven't said where you were in menopause when you started taking HRT ie how were your periods/cycles etc? Also is it Evorel sequi you are taking and if so which stage of the cycle are you on at the moment?

if you are peri-menopausal then your own cycle may well still be coming into play and therefore you may still experience some hormonal surges despite the HRT.

Hurdity x

Moomaid

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »

Hi Hurdity

I'm not absolutely sure where I was in the menopause when I started HRT as I'd previously had a partial hysterectomy with my ovaries being left in place, so I'd not had a period since then (Dec 2011).

The Evorel I'm on are 50mcg patches which I change twice weekly, not sequi.

Thanks

Moomaid

Justjules

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 07:53:43 PM »

Hi Moomaid, I can't offer much help re HRT as I never went down that route but I can totally sympathise with the panic attacks as they are awful. They completely went years ago but keep appearing again and I try everything to calm myself down but the only thing that works is deep breathing and knowing they have a length i.e. usually about 10 mins or so but sometimes it feels like one long constant one! X

clare663

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:36:19 AM »

Hi Moomaid
I am on the same patches as you but only for the last month. I am 5 years post meno. I had the anxiety just before using the HRT (hence why I went on it) but had been fine with only the hot flushes for 18 month-2 yrs previously. The symptoms came back with a vengeance so off to the GP I went. Since I have been on the patches (i started slowly with a third, then half and now full patch) I have the odd moment of anxiety, mainly in the morning. The doctor explained that we have peaks and troughs of our own hormones and I belive this anxiety comes on with a trough! If it is a daily occurance and lasts all day then yes I would change to a different type of HRT but if it is only the odd moment I would stick with it and see what happens.Let us know how you got on at the Doctors.

Moomaid

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »

Hi all

Went to the GP and she increased my dose from 50mcg to 75mcg.

As I still have some 50's left to use up I'll put my first 75 patch on tomorrow and then use the 50's on a Thursday until they're used up.

The panic attacks have returned on a nightly basis but are only relatively mild compared to what they used to be.

I'm so glad to have found HRT... I could wax lyrical about it... It really has been transformational!!

Thanks for your input.

kpatton56

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 06:46:01 AM »

Hi Moomaid

Rather than have a variable dose if you want to use up your 50 patches, why not cut them and use 11/2 to give you 75? K

Moomaid

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »

Thanks Katie

I had wondered about that and whether it might be feasible.

I must admit I'm not relishing sticking with 50mcg for much longer!!

I gave in on Thursday night and avoided the 50 in favour of the 75 as I couldn't face the inevitable panic attacks!!