Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hiatus hernia  (Read 3021 times)

Pennyfarthing

Hiatus hernia
« on: May 24, 2016, 03:17:15 PM »

Last autumn I went for a gastroscopy and was told I have a small sliding hiatus hernia. They put me on lowest dose of Lansaprazole (15 mg) and I've been fine. I take one every morning.

Last night I actually thought I was having a heart attack. Mid evening I got really bad chest pain, walked around, drank water and it wouldn't go. I'd had mashed potato, baked beans and two smallish sausages for tea. I never fry stuff so had cooked them in the oven and they were not cheap, fatty ones either. I had no dessert.

I took an indigestion relief tablet and after 1.5 hours got no relief so it said on box to take another. Second one had no effect either.  I went to bed about 10.30 still in a lot of pain and propped myself up and kept thinking I was going to have to ring the paramedics. I felt truly ill.  I must have drifted off and woke up for the loo around 3 am and was so relieved the pain had gone.

I don't feel brilliant today but the pain has gone and I just hope it doesn't flare up again. I know you're supposed to avoid fatty stuff with a hiatus hernia but I never dry stuff and always buy more expensive cuts of meat, always lean and low fat.

Jenna

Re: Hiatus hernia
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »

Hi Pennyfarthing - try Gaviscon Advance (the expensive one from a pharmacy). That is what my sis uses together with her PPI and she has the same condition as you. I also use it for indigestion/heartburn myself and can thoroughly recommend it!

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 04:06:32 PM »

Hi Pennyfarthing - try Gaviscon Advance (the expensive one from a pharmacy). That is what my sis uses together with her PPI and she has the same condition as you. I also use it for indigestion/heartburn myself and can thoroughly recommend it!

I Will see what my GP says about this next time I visit.  I was talking to a man my age a few months ago who had a heart attack in the night after he'd gone to bed.  HE woke up with bad chest pains and asked his wife to get his Gaviscon which he had been using for ages for heartburn.

IT didn't help at all and he was getting worse.  Next day he told his GP who sent him to hospital and they confirmed he had had a heart attack and also they could tell that he'd had another a few weeks before.  The consultant told him that in most cases of heart attacks people have bottles of gaviscon in the house and I also remember my friend saying that when her mum died of a heart attack they were clearing her house and it was like a chemists shop with bottles of gaviscon everywhere. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:00:36 PM »

Oh blimey - that's me done for then!  They'd find the same if they had to clear my house!!

Like you Pennyfarthing I have a hiatus hernia.  It is worrying when you think the signs of a heart attack are often likened to bad indigestion.  I suppose if the pain doesn't go away then we need to get it checked out.  Forewarned is forearmed as they say!

Glad you feel better today, it really is a horrible pain isn't it. 

S x

THanks sparkle x