Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Estrogen and anxiety  (Read 10615 times)

Milamam

Estrogen and anxiety
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:28:16 PM »

http://psycheducation.org/hormones-and-mood-introduction/basic-information-about-estrogen-in-psychiatry/

Came upon this article describing the role of estrogen in women's anxiety. It gives food for thought re higher levels of estrogen replacement and increase of depression/anxiety. My take of it was :"it's a question of the right balance".

Milamam

Tempest

Re: Estrogen and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »

That is fantastic Milamam, and pretty much taps I to what I'm thinking about what has been going on with me lately.

I can ABSOLUTELY vouch that too much estrogen does cause anxiety. The type of cyst I had for which I had my oopherectomy (and it was a whopper by the time I had my op.), was causing huge surges in estrogen and I was literally on the ceiling! Almost immediately after I had the surgery, my anxiety totally disappeared. Fast forward just over a year post op. and I start estrogen only HRT and bingo! Here I am again. I hope by dropping my dose that the anxiety will decrease. I'm wondering if in my case my body 'remembers' when it was totally estrogen logged and said 'oh no. Not THAT again'! And maybe this is why I am having such a tough time. I guess I can't know for sure. The whole hormone thing is still a bit of a mystery in some ways, especially as we are all unique!

Thank you so much for sharing!😊xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:29:44 PM »

The 'body' itself won't 'remember' but the brain can become conditioned to certain feelings, triggered by similar situations.

Even though I know the clinical reasons why I go into 'flight or fight' response, the physicality takes over  :-[ …….  :'(.  If a body becomes used to living at a certain adrenaline level, then the come-down can be awful - I remember when I stepped in after a sudden death close by, after the fuss and funeral were over, I was deeply depressed for 3 weeks.  Even knowing the cause, didn't help the physicality  :-\.

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 03:38:19 PM »

On the two occasions I was given some HRT to try it sent me up to the ceiling. I probably didn't need it but the doctor wanted me out the consulting room.

In my youth I couldn't take the Pill for the same reason, it had me climbing the walls.

My current very clued up lady GP surmised that I am likely hypersensitive to oestrogen and am probably still producing enough of my own for my needs which could be why I have not had the awful menopause experience that some of you poor ladies are having.  The symptoms I have had have been quite manageable especially with the information contained in these pages.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 05:55:21 PM »

I think that could be the danger when doctors either don't know enough or aren't interested enough, they don't realise that every woman is an individual case and what works for one probably will not help another and they lose patience, blaming the woman for not trying hard enough.

clare663

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 08:52:25 AM »

Very interesting fact!! My GP put me on HRT in 2012. Sent me over the edge within a week! I managed well until this year when anxiety, night sweats etc returned with a vengeance and am now on Evorel conti patches. Anxiety only in short waves and getting further apart so I have always belived that I still had enough of my own hormones before and then overdosed on them.

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:00:14 AM »

Hello clare, it certainly sounds like it.  Pity really as my earlier experiences with HRT when I didn't need it put me off trying it when it might have helped in the early days of permeno.  However I didn't have a really bad experience and am ok now.  Hope you do well on your treatment.

clare663

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »

I was the same babyjane and it took me 4 years to give it another go but that was because all my symptoms suddenly worsened!! It is much better this time round on the patches, even though I did have a few unsettled days with crying and low mood.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:09:42 PM »

Interesting link - but I can see the devil is in the detail and a few more specifics would be interesting. eg some of these studies were talking about Premarin - which as we know is not bio-identical but a mix of horse oestrogens (including some estradiol) which are more potent than our own - and many women do indeed experience problems on this particular one.

So if you had a bad reaction in the past and to the birth control pill - well it might have been Premarin you were given, and the birth control pill again contains very strong synthetic oestrogens - so cannot be compared with estradiol. Similarly if you took HRT orally then you may well be reacting to the metabolites and whatever happens to the excess oestrogen after it's gone through the liver - so it's not as straightforward as it seems.

For me the starting point is the basic fact - we are designed to "like" oestrogen - this is our gender hormone. Most women feel at their best during the middle part of their cycle when oestrogen is at its highest and progesterone very low. By several years post-menopause oestrogen has decreased to a low level - and this is established to be responsible for low mood, anxiety etc (though not of course in everyone).

During peri-menopause ( and possibly the late reproductive phase too?) oestrogen levels fluctuate hugely so may be suddenly abnormally high ( though nowhere near as high as they are during pregnancy) - and maybe this sudden increase to higher-than-normal-for-you levels causes some anxiety also in some women? I don't think there is enough information on this.

Added to this there is the overall pattern of oestrogen falling as peri-menopause progresses ( even though there may still be spikes?) - and all sorts of reactions occur - hence the wilderness women find themselves in trying to work out what's what as periods and cycles start to become erratic.

As I said on another thread - replacing oestrogen from outside (exogenously) doesn't seem to always do exactly the same job as our own endogenous oestrogen - not least of which I presume because there are so many other hormones coming into play as well.

In addition those like babyjane who appear super-sensitvie - many women experience initial side effects from sudden increase in oestrogen - but many of these do subside after a few days or weeks leaving women feeling much better in the end - and the sensitivity is reduced by using transdemral estradiol ( ie patch or gel). If you don't need progesterone then all the better - that is out of the equation! Lucky for those women!!!

My view is that peri-menopause lasts for fewer years than post-menopause - if we are lucky to live a long time - so we are more likely to be without it for a long time. Therefore it is worth riding out the initial side effects if you can find a non-medical way of coping ( ie without drugs like ADs and BBs!) - so that you can benefit in the longer term.

Also - those who have tried it when not yet in peri (ie still having regualr periods) and given up because it doesn't work for them - I would say don't give up for ever - you may well find you benefit later on when your hormone surges have lessened and ceased.

Oops got carried away yet again - but hope you get what I mean?!  ::)

Hurdity x

Tempest

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 04:50:02 PM »

Hurdity, you always have such balanced posts. Thank you!! In my own case, I think I'm not 'liking' how I feel right now with the feelings of being somewhat 'ramped up' and jittery because it reminds me of my peri days which were very, very rough without HRT. Right now as you know, I have been struggling with virtually no estrogen for a good while post oopherectomy and my body had to do a power of adjusting to that. Now it's having to adjust again! I actually spoke to the Consultant at my menopause clinic again and she said 'I was really hoping you wouldn't have a rough time but I thought you might do'. I think in my case I can expect much more of the start up jitters than your average bear! I see lots of 4,7,8 breathing in my future, with a tidy dose of 'om' to get me through (fingers crossed). In my case, it is essential that I stick with HRT!

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Brilliant post - one which I am going to show to my Dad as the reason why I spend a lot of my time crying!

The best word in the whole of the piece is "wilderness" and best describes how I feel about the Peri!

Thank you.

Tempest

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 06:07:44 PM »

Mis71Mum, I definitely refer to this as my 'wilderness years'!  :o

Dandelion

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »

http://psycheducation.org/hormones-and-mood-introduction/basic-information-about-estrogen-in-psychiatry/

Came upon this article describing the role of estrogen in women's anxiety. It gives food for thought re higher levels of estrogen replacement and increase of depression/anxiety. My take of it was :"it's a question of the right balance".

Milamam
Thank you, bookmarked, will read later. My hrt helps flushes etc, but no change in low mood.

dangermouse

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 08:44:05 PM »

I was having the hormone discussion with some friends, one is post meno and feels much better than all her earlier years and the other had a hysterectomy (due to severe fibroids) but still has her ovaries. The latter had just 2 weeks of drenching hot sweats and feels great now, so isn't sure if she's post meno yet.

Both had heavy and painful periods all their lives and they have not tried HRT as they feel so good. I am the opposite - light painless periods but very rough perimenopause so far. As I was told my oestrogen was low in my 20s and they had very high levels and were very fertile, we were wondering if their levels are now optimum and mine are too low/volatile due to our different starting points. My friend said she had found this pattern with other friends where the easier your periods were when young, the worse the menopause.

So if our levels are so massively different to each other this could explain a lot. Perhaps some women have enough natural protection without HRT?

Hence, adding oestrogen would make some women feel terrible and others great. I guess they really need to do the all day (or all month?) blood testing you can apparently ask for to get a true picture of your needs. (Sorry saw the doc on This Morning mention it for perimenopause testing, but forgotten the name and if every few hours or every few days).

I believe you get the adrenaline rushes at both ends points, as oestrogen is stimulating the more you have and too low causes corrective stimulation.

Balance is key but it's not easy to achieve for some!

Meg

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 01:24:24 AM »

Dear Dangermouse

I really think you are on to the truth of the matter in your post, so very well put.  I am having a terrible time with the menopause.  No end in sight after eleven years of flushing, very high levels of anxiety etc etc.  I was lucky in that I never had long or heavy periods but I did have difficulty conceiving and only managed one child after one miscarriage.  I am sure that there must be some connection in these things as you say. One size of treatment cannot fit all and a lot more reseach needs to be done!
Pages: [1] 2