Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT and gallbladder issues?  (Read 3515 times)

MegnB

HRT and gallbladder issues?
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:51:22 PM »

Or in the words of the A & E doc, "biliary dyskinesia."

In my words? Hurts like @#$@#$!. He mentioned that HRT can cause gallbladder issues, but I've only been on them for a few months. And I've never had issues before :(.

Anyone have similar issues?

Sorry if I'm not making any sense. He was kind enough to load me up with pain meds, bless him.

Taz2

Re: HRT and gallbladder issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 03:36:43 PM »

I hope you are feeling more comfy now MegnB. HRT is known to cause gall bladder problems. I think it's mentioned in the information leaflets. I think the risk is less with gel or patch HRT.

Taz x

dazned

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »

I had to have my gall bladder removed after being on hrt for three years,not sure if I would have had to anyway,but never had problems before.  :-\

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »

Dyskinesia (gallbladder) means twisted gallblader. I have rhe same condition, it us anatomical, i.e you are born like that. I know it is very common. What it means is that the galbladder empties more slowly/with difficulty but it is not related to pain or so.

HRT can cause slowness in the speed by which gallbladder releases bile this making us more prone to inflamation, etc. And yes, it us written in the first patient information leaflets. I have not had any issues thus far, thank God. But I remember when I started my HRT two years ago, I had dull heaviness down right, went and had it checked and all clear. I have been fine eversince.

I mild antispasmodic can help ease the tension. I hope you will feel better soon!

Milamam

MegnB

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »

Thank you ladies!

I did go back and read that giant leaflet that talks about potential gallbladder issues.  I'm on a cream right now, but the doc is recommending I stop HRT altogether.  I've only been on it since February.  Honestly, I don't know what to do now.  What a choice  :o!

Megs

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »

Yes, I had to have my gall bladder removed after starting HRT. That and the fact I lost a stone and a half rapidly after being advised to lose some weight by my gynaecologist, as I was insulin resistant. Both are possible causes, but who knows? I had no problem saying goodbye to my gall bladder, following repeated attacks.

wombat62

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2016, 12:21:25 AM »

Hi

Unfortunately ladies and hormones (and being a bit plump sometimes) are likely causes of gallbladder problems. Gallbladder problems are very common in pregnancy as well.

Get rid of the pesky GB and then you can go back on HRT!

I've just had mine out, still in recovery but I have lost a lot of weight, cleaned up my diet and starting to feel much better. The STRESS of prospective gallbladder attacks is very waring and won't do your overall health any good in the long run.

Whilst you are waiting for something to happen, adopt a low fat diet, drink plenty of water, don't over eat and don't skip meals and this will all lessen the chances of an attack. Unless you've had one you cannot appreciate how painful they are!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted soon!