Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Best HRT for hair loss?  (Read 6159 times)

freya

Best HRT for hair loss?
« on: May 17, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »

Hello, I wonder if anyone has any advice about which type of HRT might help with hair loss - or at least help with post-menopausal symptoms without making my hair loss worse. I'm thinking about  synthetic rather than the bio-identical - I tried it for a month (Biest, prescribed by a doctor, on a very low dose, and then added in progesterone, ) and it seemed to make my hair loss worse. It also caused spots. I've not had a period for 4 years, but unfortunately things seem to be getting worse rather than better - my joint pain is pretty bad, the hot flushes aren't great and I get horrible night sweats, too. I also have ME and Fibromyalgia, which don't help things.

I'm wary of HRT as my mum has had breast cancer, but my doctor said it could be due to other factors. On the other hand, my quality of life at the moment is pretty bad - I'm largely housebound and in pain all the time. BHRT did have some positive effects - it lessened the pain a great deal, and also helped me sleep better, which is why I think some form of hormone therapy may well help me overall. I know there are different types of HRT, and some of the progestogens have an androgenic effect, which does cause hair loss. So if anyone has any suggestions about which might help/which to avoid, I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Freya

Hurdity

Re: Best HRT for hair loss?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 05:06:48 PM »

The least androgenic progestogen is progesterone itself ie Utrogestan, and dydrogesterone (synthetic - found in Femoston) - they are all listed here:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Hair loss is likely to be worse the more androgenic the progestogen. I think some hair loss in menopause is to b e expected. It's also a sign of low thyroid function.

Hurdity x

freya

Re: Best HRT for hair loss?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:45:44 AM »

Hello 

thanks so much for this, it's a great help. I'm also looking into thryoid function, too.

Freya x