Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Estradiol 50  (Read 2710 times)

Jaz

Estradiol 50
« on: May 12, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »

Hi all
I was on here few years back and was feeling so much better on Elleste solo 2mg and increased to 3mg and been back and forth. I had a sub total hysterectomy in 2008 and symptoms started 5 years after. HRT was great for me with a bit of tweaking. However symptoms started to come back last year and I was told, couldn't be prescribed a higher dosage but prescribed Estradiol 50 (Evorel) as less risk and see how my skin absorbed it. Apparently this is equivalent to between 2 mg of Elleste solo and therefore lower than I was on originally, the next dosage is 75mg and 100mg which appears to be in the range in equivalent to tablets 3mg.
After being on patches just 3 weeks my symptoms are going back to before I was on HRT...today has been particularly bad with low mood/ anxiety.
It's going to take time to talk to menopause nurse and then GP to prescribe new dosage patches.

I was thinking of sticking on two Esradiol patches to get me through. My symptoms are always worse in the morning & I have had a bit of a stressful week but nothing I can't normally handle.   

I just don't get how theses patches are suppose to work and if when I change them, do they take time to kick in each time, hence symptoms could be worse when starting new patch.
So shall I just go ahead and stick on 2 patches while waiting to change dosage via nurse.
Don't want to go back to how I was feeling before I discovered HRT.
Suggestions appreciated😳
Jaz

Lizab

Re: Estradiol 50
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:23:30 AM »

Here's an article on how they work. I think if you've been using them 3 weeks the skin and fat referred to in the article would have had time to absorb and stabilize estrogen levels. And since you were on estrogen already, it shouldn't be a matter of the rest of your body adjusting to it. I'm only speculating, but I would guess you are right in needing to bump the dose. If yours are the type that can be cut (not resorvoir), maybe try an extra half patch to put you at the 75 dose?
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_586369.htm
There shouldn't be a huge fluctuation on changing the patches. The patch I'm using had a graph on the package insert showing the average hourly estrogen levels with each dose, and if I remember correctly, there is a brief surge about 12 hours into a new patch where the estrogen runs slightly higher, but overall it should be level.

Jaz

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »

Hi Lizab and Stella Jane
The link was very useful I don't know if Evorel 50 is a reservoir patch and can be cut in half, I would welcome any other ladies advising on this if tried it. I'm going to stick with patches for now Stella, but would like to know more about the gel for future reference incase this doesn't work out.
I have spoke to GP today who had to be persuaded to give me 75 patch, to try for a month.
Any other thoughts/experiences on the subject much appreciated, it all helps to be armed with as much information as possible. Thank you 👍🏽😀 xx

Lizab

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 04:14:06 PM »

I did a little googling and I'm fairly certain Evorel is a matrix patch so you could trim to adjust dosage, but if you've been given the 75s, that won't be necessary.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:51:17 PM »

Yes most of the patches available and that women use are matrix patches and can be cut but as said it;s better to have the right dose as the edges are rounded and so don't come unstuck!

Hurdity x

Joesmum

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:40:43 PM »

Matrix patches like Evoral should NOT be cut.

I had this told to me by my endocrinologist. I am hypopituitary so he looks after my thyroid and estrogen levels.

Cutting Patches upsets the chemical something-or-other of the patch so.......not ideal!!