Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling old and wretched! Can I restart HRT after a break of 2 years?  (Read 7762 times)

elizamac

Hi I'm new, and confused! I'm 59, and have been on HRT of one kind or another since my mid 40's (having stopped having periods at age 39).
The doctors at my practise are mostly very against taking HRT after the age of 55, but I kept on taking Nuvelle Conti until I was 57, and then stopped because I had started to suffer quite badly from acid reflux. This reflux would go away completely when I stopped the hormones.
SO this year, as my skin is dry and crepey, I have severe pains in my joints, my lady bits are dry and smelly I went back to the GP, saw a lovely woman who prescribed HRT again but in patch form (so as to avoid the acid reflux). My joy at being back on HRT was shortlived however, as I soon found that none of the patches would stick to my skin for longer than a few hours, no matter where I stuck them! I found the 1st one in my shoe at the end of the day! Apparently this is 'a thing' with FemSeven Conti patches, and many women have had the same problem with certain batches not sticking.
I'm now wondering whether I should try bio identical hormones instead, and would like to know if anyone has any experience of these? Or should I ask for another batch of patches?
I realise that Im rambling on and on but Im actually So confused, and feel like I cant make a decision about which way to turn! My brain has gone along with my hormones! Help!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

:welcomemm:  browse round.  Make notes!  Sounds 'within normal limits'!  Am sure someone will be along with regard to 'best' HRT to suggest.

There are new Guidelines for GPs and as long as a woman has been told all the 'anti' about each HRT then we can make an informed decision.  Quality of Life ;-).  After all, that bus might be long B4 any cancer etc. can be diagnosed!!! 

I can't understand why Fem7 patches don't stick  :-\ - do the Manufacturers actually know about the problems  ::)

Dancinggirl

elizamac - Yes you certainly can go back on HRT.  The best option for you would be to try Oestrogel daily and then either Utrogestan(micronised progesterone) or Provera for the progesterone and many of us stick to a sequi regime and put up with the withdrawal bleed to reduce progesterone side effects but you can use both these progesterone in a conti regime.  do look under TREATMENTS above to find out more - you may ned to print the info off to show the GP or they may not understand what you want.  These progesterones are both taken orally but the Utrogestan can be used vaginally if you don't get soreness and bladder issues around your lady bits.
I have a very sensitive stomach but find I can take Utrogestan orally with no problems - you have to take it 2 hours after food before bed and I sleep really well on it - it tends to have a sedative effect!!!! 
Sounds as though you need a local oestrogen as well - so Vagifem is a good idea.  DG x

Taz2

Good advice from Dancinggirl. Just want to say that if you do still want patches the Evorel stick really well - although they do contain norethisterone which some women have problems with.

Taz x

Hurdity

Also to add that Estradot patches also stick really well - I've been using them for 9 years now aged 63 - but you would need separate progesterone as well  - like Dancinggirl says.

Hurdity x